NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Problems with Strange 12 bolt (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68540)

3.4 grape of wrath 08-05-2018 05:55 PM

Problems with Strange 12 bolt

So I got the 12 bolt installed along with the driveshaft balanced and 1350 joint installed. A couple issues, the panhard bar bracket had one hole that was undersized quite a bit so I had to drill it out, no biggie. Drove the car and noticed right away some noises coming from the right side. Seems to be coming from the outer bearing. Noticeable when making left turns and during low speed forward driving. The noise is not present at all times though, kind of odd. Then I park the car in the garage and notice oil drippings on floor. Oil is coming from the 2 bearing preload bolts. Anyone have similar problems with this?

wretched73 08-05-2018 06:59 PM

Call Strange, give them a chance to make it right

LTb1ow 08-05-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched73 (Post 948933)
Call Strange, give them a chance to make it right

This.

B4C 08-07-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath (Post 948932)
So I got the 12 bolt installed along with the driveshaft balanced and 1350 joint installed. A couple issues, the panhard bar bracket had one hole that was undersized quite a bit so I had to drill it out, no biggie. Drove the car and noticed right away some noises coming from the right side. Seems to be coming from the outer bearing. Noticeable when making left turns and during low speed forward driving. The noise is not present at all times though, kind of odd. Then I park the car in the garage and notice oil drippings on floor. Oil is coming from the 2 bearing preload bolts. Anyone have similar problems with this?

Where is the oil dripping from? The cover? I had to drill the panhard bolt hole on my 9in too.

3.4 grape of wrath 08-07-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4C (Post 948973)
Where is the oil dripping from? The cover? I had to drill the panhard bolt hole on my 9in too.

Yes, the aluminium cover where the 2 bearing cap bolts and nuts are. I contacted strange and was told to contact Spohn my contact from strange was going on vacation. I really don't want to remove the rear, have to build a skid and ship it back then reinstall.

grazi 08-07-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.4 grape of wrath (Post 948988)
Yes, the aluminium cover where the 2 bearing cap bolts and nuts are. I contacted strange and was told to contact Spohn my contact from strange was going on vacation. I really don't want to remove the rear, have to build a skid and ship it back then reinstall.

I had the same problem on my girdle cover. Try backing the bolt out putting some pipe dope on the treads should seal it up.

3.4 grape of wrath 08-07-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grazi (Post 948990)
I had the same problem on my girdle cover. Try backing the bolt out putting some pipe dope on the treads should seal it up.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to give it a try.

BonzoHansen 08-07-2018 07:54 PM

You mean one of these? I would put some sealer on them and re set them. They are all the same there's instructions on that link.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-8510200

3.4 grape of wrath 08-07-2018 08:00 PM

I took the car out for a ride tonight and noticed the noise seemed to have gotten much quieter almost non existent. Maybe it's part of the break in process. I guess that's where they got their name from.

3.4 grape of wrath 08-10-2018 08:52 PM

OK, a little follow up on the strange rear install. I believe I found my noise issue the driveshaft safety loop was hitting the torque arm. I just had to elongate some of the holes on the safety loop and move it over. Also fixed the oil leaks as mentioned I put some thread sealer on the 2 bolts and fixed that problem.
Now onto my trans fluid leak.