NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Lowering springs (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62788)

NJ Torque 03-09-2013 12:36 PM

Lowering springs

How does one feel about these...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Lowerin...9ccdc3&vxp=mtr

1320B4U 03-09-2013 07:32 PM

I've had a lot of different spring manufacturers and have always come back to eibachs. Springs are an integral part of your suspension..things like compression rates/rebound etc aren't to be taken lightly. There's a reason why eibachs or a quality manufacturer are $320 +/-. Personally i wouldn't buy these, i've had cheap ones that didn't site in the perch index 100% due to what appears to be quality..up to you.

bigz28man 03-09-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320B4U (Post 873685)
I've had a lot of different spring manufacturers and have always come back to eibachs. Springs are an integral part of your suspension..things like compression rates/rebound etc aren't to be taken lightly. There's a reason why eibachs or a quality manufacturer are $320 +/-. Personally i wouldn't buy these, i've had cheap ones that didn't site in the perch index 100% due to what appears to be quality..up to you.

I agree. These f-bodies dont have the smoothest ride to begin with. I personally like BMR, but eibach pros, or stranos, are what everyone in most cases are using. Also the ride quilty gets alittle better with them as well.

creeper 03-10-2013 03:04 AM

350F & 250R spring rate...

so they lower the car 1.3" and barely add any rate up front (softer than a factory 1le spring) yet more than double the rate in the rear (to beyond almost any name brand spring for these cars)

I personally like a spring rate on the softer side for the rear of these cars, after numerous sets of springs. Here's a list of some rates just to give you an idea, my experience has been that linear springs ride nicer and feel more predictable in general over progressive springs
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

NJ Torque 03-10-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 873698)
350F & 250R spring rate...

so they lower the car 1.3" and barely add any rate up front (softer than a factory 1le spring) yet more than double the rate in the rear (to beyond almost any name brand spring for these cars)

I personally like a spring rate on the softer side for the rear of these cars, after numerous sets of springs. Here's a list of some rates just to give you an idea, my experience has been that linear springs ride nicer and feel more predictable in general over progressive springs
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

For the $45 that I spent on them, I will give the fronts a shot and probably just do the hose mod in the rear...

//<86TA>\\ 03-10-2013 03:04 PM

The problem is 250 for the rear spring rate it too much for a f body with a stock rear roll height. Chances are the car will oversteer pretty bad with that setup.

creeper 03-10-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Torque (Post 873723)
For the $45 that I spent on them, I will give the fronts a shot and probably just do the hose mod in the rear...

Not a bad deal, but sometimes the cheaper springs end up with a more extreme drop than what is advertised, and/or sag over time. Also only adding 50# of rate probably won't compensate for the reduced travel, so you'll be hitting the stops more, but it will probably still ride pretty decent.

then again for $45 less than $45 you could have cut a coil from the stock spring, which by the equation...

k = (G*d^4)/(64*R^3*N)

k = spring rate
G = modulus of elasticity (material property)
d = wire diameter
R = mean radius of helix
N = number of coils

...would have yielded a spring rate in the 340 range anyway

either way, post pictures of the drop when done and do a review!

Italian Stallion 03-11-2013 10:57 PM

I have the same springs and have yet to install them. Definitely post pics asap!

redsoxsstink 03-13-2013 08:16 PM

i just got eibach pros and bilstein shocks and struts, once they settle in i will post some pics, right now im looking at about an inch drop hoping to fall down another half inch

Mezzy 03-13-2013 11:04 PM

I bought the Bilstein kit. Came with Eibach springs that lowered the car 1". I also replaced all the chasis components. That kit is one of the best for the money. Car rides like New again.

ThoR294 06-03-2013 12:46 PM

I love my strano/koni set up... car handles sooooooooo much better

NJ Torque 06-15-2014 09:58 PM

Update; These were installed in a friends 2001 Z28 with OEM Bilsteins... Front drop was about 2" rear about 1"(did the hose mod, broght it down another 1/2"

WayFast84 06-25-2014 11:48 AM

Was this what you were doing to the black camaro a few weeks ago?

NJ Torque 06-25-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayFast84 (Post 906160)
Was this what you were doing to the black camaro a few weeks ago?

Possibly. And a slew of other things as well.

WayFast84 06-25-2014 11:57 AM

Nice. I would've stopped by but I was running late to work.

firebirdcrazy 08-01-2014 03:53 PM

I went through Eibach, and Hotchkis with adustable shocks were really bad when hitting bumps. The car sounded like it was going to rock apart. The Stranos springs were my last ones and I absolutely loved them but the car was just too low and damaging everything underneath. I have the SLP springs now which raised the car but I am just not happy with the new handling as the stranos and AGX shocks really kept the car grounded. I think I will change to new shocks to see if that improves it.

ThoR294 08-01-2014 04:41 PM

I don't have clearance issues with my stranos

firebirdcrazy 08-04-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 907642)
I don't have clearance issues with my stranos

Im running big headers, and my turbo piping runs below as well. And if I switch to a Supercharger that also runs underneath also. I put a spike right through my header last year. I have all new equipment now and not chancing destroying it all. If you have all factory underneath then there isnt much to worry about.

Pampered-Z 08-04-2014 08:27 AM

How low are you wanting to go? I have the SLP level II springs, they dropped the car about 3/4".