NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Coolant in bell housing. (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65988)

HennessyZ28 04-13-2015 12:48 AM

Coolant in bell housing.

1 Attachment(s)
So I thought my 94 Z was leaking coolant from the rear some where because when I put a new trans in it, the bell housing had a puddle of coolant in it. So I pressure tested the system, at 18 PSI, and to my surprise it started leaking from the front. Still need to put it on stands and see where she is leaking from, via hose/water pump. But why would the bell housing be full of coolant?

NJSPEEDER 04-13-2015 05:05 AM

From the rear of the block I would suspect a freeze plug is weeping.

sweetbmxrider 04-13-2015 06:56 AM

Common area for these to leak coolant from the rear would be the steam pipe. It attaches to the back of either cylinder head and uses a/c style metal/rubber gasket o-rings and banjo bolts. A freeze out plug is a possibility as well.

LTb1ow 04-13-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER (Post 916341)
From the rear of the block I would suspect a freeze plug is weeping.

On an LT1, I would more likely guess the rear crossover pipe seals. Could be running down the intake and out the back,

sweetbmxrider 04-13-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 916344)
On an LT1, I would more likely guess the rear crossover pipe seals. Could be running down the intake and out the back,

Why would the coolant run up to the intake to then go down?

LTb1ow 04-13-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 916351)
Why would the coolant run up to the intake to then go down?

Driving around would accelerate fluids to run to the rear of the motor.

sweetbmxrider 04-13-2015 09:31 AM

:-? The seals are on the banjo bolts going into the rear of either head, below the intake, thus running down into the bell housing, possibly.

sweetbmxrider 04-13-2015 09:38 AM

I reread the original post, I see you were speaking towards the front coolant leak. My advice is a flashlight and mirror to locate the leak if you can't easily see it.

HennessyZ28 04-14-2015 03:42 AM

Yeah, as to my first post, I pressure tested the system and there was NO leaks from the rear of the motor. Most likely when driving the air flow was pushing the coolant down the oil pan and collecting in the bell housing. Need to do a fuel pump in a Tahoe, then will get her up for an oil change and fix the leak.

WildBillyT 04-14-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HennessyZ28 (Post 916386)
Yeah, as to my first post, I pressure tested the system and there was NO leaks from the rear of the motor. Most likely when driving the air flow was pushing the coolant down the oil pan and collecting in the bell housing. Need to do a fuel pump in a Tahoe, then will get her up for an oil change and fix the leak.

Sounds like you are on the right track. If they are the original hoses check all of them too. And pray it's not your water pump weep hole. :lol:

HennessyZ28 05-02-2015 01:08 AM

So I got the Z up in the air, and pressurized the coolant system to 18 PSI. The water pump gasket is leaking on the driver side. So need to knock that out.