NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Chef Boyardees raviolis (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68583)

unstable bob gable 09-02-2018 02:19 PM

Chef Boyardees raviolis

Polar Bears and I are arguing about Chef Boyardees raviolis: I say they taste better heated up, and Polar Bears says there is no difference in taste from heating them up and he eats them right from the can. What do you guys think?

JL8Jeff 09-03-2018 09:19 AM

I prefer to heat them up just like leftover pizza.

ThoR294 09-03-2018 11:02 AM

stovetop heat up ftw

PolarBear 09-04-2018 07:57 AM

Neither of you have answered the question though.
The taste is the same regardless of the temp, room temp, or warm/hot. The only thing that "changes" is mouth feel when it is warm or room temp

This goes for all food. once it is cooked already

WildBillyT 09-04-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 949465)
Neither of you have answered the question though.
The taste is the same regardless of the temp, room temp, or warm/hot. The only thing that "changes" is mouth feel when it is warm or room temp

This goes for all food. once it is cooked already

All food... no. Certain flavors can change when heated or cooled. Not sure about CB ravioli though, it might be designed to be pretty flavor stable regardless of serving temperature.

PolarBear 09-04-2018 10:06 AM

All food tastes the same regardless of room temp or warm/hot. LITERALLY. Again, this is after the food has been cooked, because once you heat some things the flavor does change, for instance caramelizing has an actual impact on the food taste, but those things take place at temperatures much higher than skin/tongue starts to blister, so that is not part of the argument. This is only between room temp and warmed food.

Does ice cream TASTE different when it melts? No. Does tea taste the same if it is ice cold or hot in a cup? yes. Those are extreme temp changes and the taste is still the same. As I said to UBG, you only perceive that the flavor is different when the temperature is room temp vs warm/hot. If anything you may get mouth feel changes, like Dinty More, since it is so fatty if it isn't partially warmed up the fat coats the inside of your mouth and it feels different.

Blackbirdws6 09-04-2018 10:17 AM

What about cheese?

PolarBear 09-04-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 949475)
What about cheese?

Same as above, room temp and cold is the same as warm. Cook/uncooked taste different.

WildBillyT 09-04-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 949474)
All food tastes the same regardless of room temp or warm/hot. LITERALLY. Again, this is after the food has been cooked, because once you heat some things the flavor does change, for instance caramelizing has an actual impact on the food taste, but those things take place at temperatures much higher than skin/tongue starts to blister, so that is not part of the argument. This is only between room temp and warmed food.

Does ice cream TASTE different when it melts? No. Does tea taste the same if it is ice cold or hot in a cup? yes. Those are extreme temp changes and the taste is still the same. As I said to UBG, you only perceive that the flavor is different when the temperature is room temp vs warm/hot. If anything you may get mouth feel changes, like Dinty More, since it is so fatty if it isn't partially warmed up the fat coats the inside of your mouth and it feels different.

That's not correct, and flies in the face of how flavor testing is done by flavor/fragrance houses. Flavor testing protocols are written with exact temperature specifications. Perception of sweetness, bitterness, etc will vary based on food temp. Food will taste different based on heat.

Whether or not you give a **** is personal preference.

ThoR294 09-04-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 949477)
That's not correct, and flies in the face of how flavor testing is done by flavor/fragrance houses. Flavor testing protocols are written with exact temperature specifications. Perception of sweetness, bitterness, etc will vary based on food temp. Food will taste different based on heat.

I'm with Master Griller Billy here. Wtf do polar bears know about ravioli anyway?!?? :lol:

unstable bob gable 09-04-2018 11:20 AM

Polar Bears is just miffed because people would rather heat up Chef Boyardees ravioli then eat it out of the can like him.

LTb1ow 09-04-2018 11:54 AM

Who the hell eats chef boyardees is the real question y'all should be asking yourselves.

WildBillyT 09-04-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 949480)
Who the hell eats chef boyardees is the real question y'all should be asking yourselves.

Hard hitting question:

Is it

Chef Boy are dee

or

Chef Boyard ee

wretched73 09-04-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 949481)
Hard hitting question:

Is it

Chef Boy are dee

or

Chef Boyard ee

It was named after a real Italian Chef.

Edit- He pronounced it Boy-Ar-Dee but his real last name wouldn't be pronounced like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettore_Boiardi

unstable bob gable 09-04-2018 12:26 PM

I add the s at the end for SO yummy!

PolarBear 09-04-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 949477)

It's not about whether I give a **** or not. It tastes the same warm or cold, if it tasted different, I would have a preference, if it was hot or cold for taste.
I like some things warm, or reheated for other reasons, but none of them are based on taste. I like tomato soup, made with cold milk and I will drink it like that, or sometimes I will put it in the microwave for one minute to take the cold off, it still tastes the same. Ravoli, beefaroni, chicken soup, etc all taste the same right out of the can as heated. They are all cooked already.

How flavor testing is performed is irrelevant, if I say it tastes the same hot or cold, I am not wrong. I gave evidence of how some flavors don't change based on temp, none of you have proved how it does.

Again, I say, your perception is that the taste changes and I think this has to do with you all having a sense of smell. You're conflating taste with smell, as most people do. but the actual TASTE is the same. I can see how people think something may taste different because you can smell the food more at a warm temperature rather than cold. I have a diminished sense of smell, I can still smell things, but they are not as pungent as I think most people smell.

PolarBear 09-04-2018 03:57 PM

Does your meal taste different at the beginning and at the end? Do you stop and reheat your food every few minutes while your eating? Not likely because it still tastes the same, temperature is not a factor

WildBillyT 09-04-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 949484)
It's not about whether I give a **** or not. It tastes the same warm or cold, if it tasted different, I would have a preference, if it was hot or cold for taste.
I like some things warm, or reheated for other reasons, but none of them are based on taste. I like tomato soup, made with cold milk and I will drink it like that, or sometimes I will put it in the microwave for one minute to take the cold off, it still tastes the same. Ravoli, beefaroni, chicken soup, etc all taste the same right out of the can as heated. They are all cooked already.

How flavor testing is performed is irrelevant, if I say it tastes the same hot or cold, I am not wrong. I gave evidence of how some flavors don't change based on temp, none of you have proved how it does.

Again, I say, your perception is that the taste changes and I think this has to do with you all having a sense of smell. You're conflating taste with smell, as most people do. but the actual TASTE is the same. I can see how people think something may taste different because you can smell the food more at a warm temperature rather than cold. I have a diminished sense of smell, I can still smell things, but they are not as pungent as I think most people smell.

It absolutely matters. Tons of research has been done that proves people's perception of flavors changes with the temperature of the food or drink. Individual anecdotes don't make the rule. When a million dollar product launch is happening you want the food to taste its best when prepared "normally".

You may not taste a difference, but that doesn't mean your experience is representative of everyone elses. Just because I like a cold Sprite and think a warm Sprite tastes like Brakleen doesn't mean everybody thinks the same way.

sweetbmxrider 09-04-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 949485)
Does your meal taste different at the beginning and at the end? Do you stop and reheat your food every few minutes while your eating? Not likely because it still tastes the same, temperature is not a factor

After its been in the fridge for a day? Yes, yes I do. While the flavor profile may not have changed in your opinion, the taste has in mine so I heat it back up :rofl:

I think you've had one too many paint fumes huffed and have lost your ability to taste taste....

Blackbirdws6 09-04-2018 05:55 PM

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploa...-you-gif-7.gif

ThoR294 09-04-2018 05:58 PM

https://i.imgur.com/kp8te.gif

Frosty 09-06-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 949480)

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing. This general area has some of the best Italian food in the country and they're eating that canned ****? Are they reliving their childhood when they were 10yrs old? What the hell is this nonsense lol

Featherburner 09-06-2018 09:32 PM

My son eats Chef Boyardee for lunch a couple times a week. Heated of course!