NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   T56 rebuild options (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63189)

spina74 05-03-2013 10:13 PM

T56 rebuild options

Well I lost 2nd gear so its time for a rebuild. I got a killer deal on a rebuild from a good shop. Right now my cars making 405/395 on a mustang dyno. I do plan to eventually procharge the car to hit around 550. Would I be safe to do a stock rebuild as I don't race the car that often and when I do I'm not doing 6k clutch dumps, or should I spend the extra money for the viper kit. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I would only need the viper synchros and shift forks correct? I heard that 2001+ t56's had the viper gears.

coolmanvette75 05-03-2013 11:39 PM

IMO over build it. I am kicking myself now for not and am gonna have to go back into mine to make it stronger. What makes something a "Viper spec" T56 over say a stage two rebuild is the 30 spline Viper mainshaft. Less than Viper spec (stage 2) usually includes:
Bronze 1-4 Fork Pads
OEM 5-6 & Reverse Fork Pads
Billet 3-4 Synchronizer Keys
New OEM 1-2, 5-6 & Reverse Keys & Springs
Complete Carbon Fiber Synchronizer (blocker) Ring Set
Steel 3-4 Shift Fork

I currently have the stage 2 and will be taking it apart to make it into a Viper spec this summer...

spina74 05-04-2013 12:39 AM

If I do the viper main shaft don't I need a new housing?

MyFirstZ 05-04-2013 05:37 AM

Rockland standard gear has a breakdown of some of the parts they use in the transzilla, which is probably about the same as what you guys are referring to if not better. They do offer rebuilds that aren't as costly and probably still meet your goals.

You can always call or email then your situation. Good guys up there and ton of experience. Known throughout tech and a lot of corvette forums.

best part they are local. 2 minute into NY past the Sheraton in Mahwah

BonzoHansen 05-04-2013 07:15 AM

My understanding is the output shaft is a main weakpoint. I suggest calling Bob at Hanlon Motorsports.

sweetbmxrider 05-04-2013 04:40 PM

I'd definitely not want to wonder if the trans is going to pop because I wanted to save some money now. Bob Hanlon is definitely the t56 man and will tell you how crazy to go with it.

spina74 05-04-2013 07:34 PM

I contacted Bob a few days ago just waiting for a response. I've been doing a lot of research and there's an extensive write up on tech which was pretty informative. Im gonna get a hold of my machinist on monday to see if he can modify my tail housing and cut the viper mainshaft down to spec. If he can do it, then I'm gonna go that route.

WildBillyT 05-04-2013 07:44 PM

Bob, D&D, or RSG.

I would not do a stock rebuild if you plan on ripping it hard.

spina74 05-04-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 879215)
Bob, D&D, or RSG.

I would not do a stock rebuild if you plan on ripping it hard.

I decided if at the very least the viper synchros, shift forks, etc, but I'm looking into the mainshaft too.

coolmanvette75 05-04-2013 09:56 PM

The mainshaft is not very tough to do. They are not that expensive and minimal machining is required. Do it once, do it right. I didn't and now I am going back in for a second time because of it...

spina74 05-05-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75 (Post 879225)
The mainshaft is not very tough to do. They are not that expensive and minimal machining is required. Do it once, do it right. I didn't and now I am going back in for a second time because of it...

Hopefully my machinist is willing to do the housing work and cut the mainshaft assuming I can find one. Every place seems to be sold out.