NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine / Power / Tuning (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Borla Cat-back Pros and Cons (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10511)

enRo 05-02-2005 09:20 PM

Borla Cat-back Pros and Cons

Im looking into letting my LO3 Pro/Am to breathe :) . I was never really into the Magnaflows or the Flowmasters, so I'd figure I'd go with something different. Opinions are welcome. Since I'm getting to the basics of Headers and don't know what the fugg I'm doing (:oops:), I need opinions also as to what headers and etc would be a good combo with this nice system.

This Is The Cat-back I'm Looking At

Pros:
Stainless Steel
1,000,000 Mile Warranty
Sounds Nice (from what I hear)
3 in.

Cons:
Might need to recut rear bumper to fit
Expensive ($900)
<<<<Hasn't read up on his exhausts lately :roll:

Yea, and you are free to give me :shock: <<<these looks, cuz I don't know what the heck I'm talkin' about. I NEED OPINIONS.
And by then, I hope to sell my 86' to help pay for the upcoming suspension kit / labor.

Thanks for reading my stupidity! I'm kinda tired too so... :twisted:
_Noah

Koll 05-02-2005 09:23 PM

Dynomax system with the UltraFlow Welded muffler(s)

foff667 05-03-2005 07:52 AM

i know tim(njspeeder) had all kinda issues getting his to line up correctly in his RS...i had the system on my Z and liked it...but its just a really heavy system...one of the louder ones with no plates in though :twisted:

Tru2Chevy 05-03-2005 09:00 AM

Borla's usually sound bad-ass, but it's very expensive.

I've heard lots of people talk nice about the Hooker Aerochamber system...

- Justin

Fasterthanyou 05-03-2005 11:09 AM

I had bought 1 new and sold it with the car, then I got Tim's and it's still not lined up properly. It's about a 1/2" from the driveshaft :roll: ... gonna need to fix that when I get an aluminum LS1 driveshaft.
I vote for the Hooker system, they sound really good and are a LOT cheaper. BTW, I bought the Borla new when it was only $650.

Ian 05-03-2005 08:28 PM

Please, whatever you do, dont get flowmasters! With that out of the way...Borla systems sound really nice, but are WAY expensive. I'll throw up another vote for the Hooker catback. I've never heard one, but like True2Chevy said, no one really bad mouths them.

Batman 05-04-2005 05:57 AM

Go with the Hooker, not as pretty but it is a great exhaust, don't pay that much for an exhaust that fits like crap. If you are going to spend that kind of coin I would get a GMMG chambered exhaust, that thing sounds NASTY!

enRo 05-04-2005 01:23 PM

Yea i might go with the Hooker catback... theres a cpl of sound clips on ThirdGen... sounds pretty nice :) Im gonna wait until July 2nd to throw them on, cuz thats when the new car is due for inspection :)

78camaro 05-04-2005 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
Yea i might go with the Hooker catback... theres a cpl of sound clips on ThirdGen... sounds pretty nice :) Im gonna wait until July 2nd to throw them on, cuz thats when the new car is due for inspection :)

joe(84HOtransam) i believe has a hooker catback with edelbrock shorties on his 3rd gen personally i love how his car sounds, PM him and see how he likes it

NLinnear 05-04-2005 07:30 PM

http://www.fle-online.com/

Take a look at this site. Unfortunately, no Borla, but there prices are low.

78camaro 05-04-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLinnear
http://www.fle-online.com/

Take a look at this site. Â*Unfortunately, no Borla, but there prices are low.

hooker exhust seems a bit pricey there... esp. headers

ar0ck 05-04-2005 10:29 PM

Magnaflows... because the tips are oh so sexy

NLinnear 05-05-2005 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78camaro
hooker exhust seems a bit pricey there... esp. headers

WOW :shock:

I just went through some of their Magnaflow catbacks. I remember this site being cheap!!! I guess word got out about their prices so they decided to raise them :cry:

IROCdan330 05-05-2005 05:34 AM

ive got a hooker catback and hooker shorties. very very very quiet at idle...above 2500...watch out. The thing screams. Made my 305 sound ballsy. Wonder how it will sound behind the 350... :roll:

deadtrend1 05-11-2005 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IROCdan330
Wonder how it will sound behind the 350... :roll:

Probably better then mine. Damn dual cats really hush the car down. The hooker system is a great system. Fits easy, sounds decent (will be better when I get O2 sims and straight pipe the cats), cheaper

Bet of all, the dual tips look nice tucked into the bumper provisions ... :)

IROCdan330 05-11-2005 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1
Quote:

Originally Posted by IROCdan330
Wonder how it will sound behind the 350... :roll:

Probably better then mine. Â*Damn dual cats really hush the car down. Â*The hooker system is a great system. Â*Fits easy, sounds decent (will be better when I get O2 sims and straight pipe the cats), cheaper

Bet of all, the dual tips look nice tucked into the bumper provisions ... :)

bumper provisions....ha...what are those? from some angles the tips on my car look kinda doofy...but from other angles it looks badass...yea.

deadtrend1 05-11-2005 07:33 PM

i was referring to these as the bumper provisions ....
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tstrel...am/dcp1741.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tstrel...am/dcp1831.jpg

Ian 05-11-2005 07:47 PM

I think he was being sarcastic, seeing as how third gens dont have those :wink:

Don't we get a discount on magnaflow stuff? I think i remember something like that. :shrug:

Tru2Chevy 05-12-2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian
I think he was being sarcastic, seeing as how third gens dont have those :wink:

Don't we get a discount on magnaflow stuff? I think i remember something like that. :shrug:

PM the exhaust guys, they sell Magnaflow systems at a pretty good price :)

- Justin

maroman88 05-13-2005 10:40 AM

i have the hooker cat back...only heard it once, the cutouts always open hehe :twisted: but it sounded pretty dam good and it was only $289 from summit and i love the big dual tips

NJSPEEDER 05-13-2005 03:45 PM

pro: it sounds good, best flow of any cat back on teh market
con: price is nuts, borla's fit and finish is ******
i had the borla on my 91 rs. fitting it was a complete mess thanks to poor manufacturing. i am also glad i didn't completely pay for it myself.

later
tim

robj 06-07-2005 08:50 AM

i dunno on the 3rd gen... but on my 00 TA the boral i picked up full adjustable catback for 300 (used) gounds GREAT and the fit was pretty good too. Guess i got luckyi ... only problem i had was the muffler was about 1/4 from the heat shield on teh gas tank... so i just put a different rubber hanger .... i a longer one to move the muffler down a little and all was well... the rest of the fit was excellent

Blackbirdws6 06-16-2005 01:08 PM

my vote goes for my setup after a lot of looking around and listening. I have a mufflex Y, Custom I pipe to a dynomax ultraflo muffler, and 3 inch pipes. The muffler is a little on the expensive side, but I have no drone in the cabin and its pretty tame with just cruisin. However, once you get on it, it simply roars but in a clean way if u catch my drift. anyway, thats my 2 cents.

-Brian