NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   rotor/pad options/preferences (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66730)

6spdg37s 02-10-2016 08:26 PM

rotor/pad options/preferences

Just going over some other stuff getting ready for spring and my car is on stock (like built with rotors) as far as I know (still had the retaining clips on and everything) they are definitely warped.

Do I go with ACDELCO replacements (get it for cost) or do I go with aftermarket? whats your fav aftermarket brand pad/rotor, cross driilled, slotted, etc; ?

keep in mind I am not looking to spend alot

MDSheds_SS 02-10-2016 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Call me crazy but I put slotted/vented rotors from Napa on my Silverado and I love them. I have gotten them hot and they did not warp. Had them for about 3 years and they still aren't rusted. They stop great and the price wasn't bad. I use there best pads too, not sure what the name of either are but I know they still sell them, my bro just put them on his TBSS
Attachment 8426

6spdg37s 02-10-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDSheds_SS (Post 924273)
Call me crazy but I put slotted/vented rotors from Napa on my Silverado and I love them. I have gotten them hot and they did not warp. Had them for about 3 years and they still aren't rusted. They stop great and the price wasn't bad. I use there best pads too, not sure what the name of either are but I know they still sell them, my bro just put them on his TBSS
Attachment 8426

im debating grabbing a set of something off of ws6store or texas speed nothing crazy. anything hs to be better than warped 5-15 year old pads/rotors haha

Blackbirdws6 02-11-2016 06:35 AM

If you aren't racing, I would just pick up a good set of pads and rotors from NAPA. I have the brakemotive pad /rotors and while they work a bit better than the NAPA parts, I'm not overly impressed. I'll be saving my pennies for a larger rotor/caliper package in the future.

6spdg37s 02-11-2016 06:42 AM

Im drag racing 1/4 mile not road racing

NJ Torque 02-11-2016 07:06 AM

get the ACD rotors and a good set of pads. Until you start going 135+ no need to change that.

LTb1ow 02-11-2016 09:00 AM

I have some combo of hawk pads/rotors, seems to stop my car (3400lb, 140mph) with relative ease.

ThoR294 02-11-2016 02:00 PM

My uncle doesn't like NAPA brakes (he runs an independent garage). ACDELCO makes good OEM replacement brakes. If you want something better than OEM, get better pads (Hawks pads like mentioned). Blank rotors are more than enough, as crazy rotors like to eat through pads quickly.

sweetbmxrider 02-11-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoR294 (Post 924288)
My uncle doesn't like NAPA brakes (he runs an independent garage). ACDELCO makes good OEM replacement brakes. If you want something better than OEM, get better pads (Hawks pads like mentioned). Blank rotors are more than enough, as crazy rotors like to eat through pads quickly.

Never had a serious issue with adaptive one pads and white box rotors from napa. The occasional hiccup here and there like with any aftermarket part but nothing they don't stand behind.

LTb1ow 02-11-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 924293)
Never had a serious issue with adaptive one pads and white box rotors from napa. The occasional hiccup here and there like with any aftermarket part but nothing they don't stand behind.

You said my truck stuff wasn't covered!!!!

:bertstare:

6spdg37s 02-11-2016 08:14 PM

i cant wait for spring... this is not the kinda weather that motivates me to go out and work on my car lol

sweetbmxrider 02-12-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 924306)
You said my truck stuff wasn't covered!!!!

:bertstare:

As in problem when first bolted on. You have 3/4 ton commuter problems.

NJ Torque 02-12-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s (Post 924308)
i cant wait for spring... this is not the kinda weather that motivates me to go out and work on my car lol

yeahhhhh, no.

BigAls87Z28 02-15-2016 09:11 PM

AC Delco has different lines now, so don't assume that all AC Delco are equal.

6spdg37s 02-16-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 (Post 924495)
AC Delco has different lines now, so don't assume that all AC Delco are equal.

ya i know I get the good stuff I get them thru the shop I worked at

Blacdout96 02-16-2016 08:45 PM

Putting cross drilled rotors on are a waste now a day. Unless the holes are originally cast into the rotor and not drilled, there is a high percentage of stress cracks developing over time, which is not needed if the rotor decides to shatter. Also, venting gasses is old tech. Pads today produce very low, to no gasses at all, and you are also decreasing area on the rotor.

http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-...d-and-warping/

Just get a nice set of blank rotors (Stoptech/Brembo) and Hawk pads, and you'll be set.

creeper 02-20-2016 07:30 AM

I bought Duralast Gold Ceramic pads as a temporary solution at one point and liked them a lot. They would really bite when they got warm during autox.

Later I went to a cheap ceramic pad/slotted rotor combo. The ceramic pads with this kit did not perform adequately in cold weather, and it was terrifying slamming on the brakes from parkway speeds and getting nothing for 2+ seconds before they started to bite. I would expect this from a race pad, but a race pad they were not.

I swapped back to AC Delco blanks and non-ceramic Brembo (discontinued) pads and probably won't touch it for a while.

qwikz28 02-20-2016 07:38 AM

Delco blanks are the way to go. An interesting weird issue you may see is that the inside hat of some rear rotors are not the same size as Delcos and you will find your e-brake essentially useless.

As for pads, if you don't mind a little dust, I would go Hawk HPS. If warping is your issue, just make sure you read a bit on letting your brakes cool before standing on them at a stop or parking the car.

6spdg37s 02-20-2016 08:40 AM

anything is going to be better then the stock slightly warped possibly 15 year old ones on there now haha. ever since i did my 9" my e brake is a little funky. need to adjust it or something when i get the chance but I always leave it in gear when I park