NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Need New Tires for 1995 Trans Am (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67167)

inthered 09-03-2016 07:03 PM

Need New Tires for 1995 Trans Am

Hey everyone.

It's been a long time... a real long time... since I've bought tires. I have not used my car very much in the past 10 years and today noticed a tread starting to separate on one of my tires so it is time to replace.

I currently have Firestone Firehawk SZ250 ZR16's on it and I don't believe they are in production anymore. About 10 years ago that was "the tire" to have as it offered the best performance.

What are you guys using these days that is a good performer for the car?

Thank you.

Jersey Mike 09-03-2016 07:13 PM

I'm assuming this is for the bolt-on LT1 in your signature?
You said you don't drive the car much anymore; what do you use the car for nowadays & how do you drive it?

inthered 09-03-2016 07:23 PM

Hey Mike.

I don't drive it much but I'm trying to change that a bit. My main car is a diesel Passat so when I'm in the trans am my foot gets heavy. I don't plan to road trip it much just 20-70 mile jaunts here and there. Once in a while I will take it to work which is 150 miles round trip up the parkway (hence the diesel).

Sad to see the tire have problems with a decent amount of tread on it but it is what it is.

redsoxsstink 09-04-2016 01:56 AM

things to consider here for tires...
  • weather, sunny only, rain, snow, etc
  • budget
  • do you want to stagger? what rims?
  • driving style? agressive, cruiser, street strip?
  • brand preferences

ive had quite a few tire combos over the years and actually sold tires for a bit there are a lot of options out there to fit everyones needs.

inthered 09-04-2016 09:20 AM

I have fire hawk sz 250 ep right now so I was looking for something similar. I'm not afraid to drive in rain if that's what happens but I wouldn't be out there in the snow. I don't do the track but since this is now my spare / hobby car my foot is a lot heavier in it. My main ride is a diesel Passat which does my daily 150 mile commute. When I'm in the trans am now I'm more likely to beat on it.

Jersey Mike 09-04-2016 09:45 AM

These have to be 16s, correct?

inthered 09-04-2016 10:34 AM

Yes. Stock wheels.

Blackbirdws6 09-04-2016 03:44 PM

I've always liked the Goodyear GS-D3s. I imagine there is a better tire out there now but they worked well.

ThoR294 09-05-2016 08:21 PM

I like hankook ventus tires

inthered 09-05-2016 08:51 PM

I decided on the BFG g-force sport comp 2's

I bought them from TireBuyer.com as opposed to tire rack.com. They had a $40 coupon for Labor Day which cancelled the tax and free shipping. I wound up saving about $60 over tire rack which I never thought I could do. Tire rack has always been the best deal in my experience.