NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   bmw starting issues (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53116)

fmybody 09-13-2010 04:52 PM

bmw starting issues

lol yeah the dd is acting up... sometimes when i turn the key it starts no problem, sometimes its a delay and then starts no problem, and sometimes it just doesnt start at all.

my guess is some kind of ground loose or a loose connection some where?

I had an aftermarket alarm system taken out about a year ago... im gonna take it back to that place to see if anything he did is coming undone?

im not all to sure.. what do you guys think the problem is? or anyone with a simular situation?

car is a 91 bmw 325i

91chevywt 09-13-2010 09:38 PM

Could be problems with the contacts in the ignition switch? Sounds like its probably had a lot of use. Can't really say unless you actually get it diagnosed

sweetbmxrider 09-13-2010 09:56 PM

i'd take a test light to the starter when its not starting and see if you have power at the solenoid

MyFirstZ 09-13-2010 10:04 PM

sounds like a fuel or battery issue for the long start.

but

sounds like a starter issue for the no start. Do you here the fuel pump run when you turn the key on engine off ?

Wish i could help more but the oldest i have seen is two e36's at work, all day working on 07 and newer.

fmybody 09-14-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91chevywt (Post 727517)
Could be problems with the contacts in the ignition switch? Sounds like its probably had a lot of use. Can't really say unless you actually get it diagnosed

well its getting diagnosed today.. just not by my go to guy... so im kinda preparing myself to hear something redic..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 727521)
i'd take a test light to the starter when its not starting and see if you have power at the solenoid

my mechanic tested the starter when it wasnt starting.. he said it wasnt the starter but something electrical.. also now the battery is getting killed over night... but he tested the battery and its not that... so somethings gotta be killing my battery and maybe its the same thing thats keeping my car from starting? something in the ignition? i dunno

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyFirstZ (Post 727526)
sounds like a fuel or battery issue for the long start.

but

sounds like a starter issue for the no start. Do you here the fuel pump run when you turn the key on engine off ?

Wish i could help more but the oldest i have seen is two e36's at work, all day working on 07 and newer.

its not really a "long start" its just i turn the key and i get nothing..absolutly nothing for like 2 seconds then it will just start right up... its not struggling to start.. just sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt.. and now its dying if its not getting driven on the daily...

SIIIGHHHH hopefully i hear something today and illl post back with you guys.. if any body else has any ideas id appreciate it ... the more knowledge i have when i talk to this guy the better.

qwikz28 09-15-2010 10:12 AM

Check your battery terminals. If they are corroded, buy new ones. If they are not, tighten them.

fmybody 09-15-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwikz28 (Post 727717)
Check your battery terminals. If they are corroded, buy new ones. If they are not, tighten them.

I will do that because as of right now it seems to be leaning twards a battery issue.. thank you

Tru2Chevy 09-15-2010 06:55 PM

Try cleaning them before replacing them if there is corrosion. Sometimes it's not too bad and they just need a good cleaning.

- Justin