NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Work Boots (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68735)

MDSheds_SS 01-17-2019 09:04 AM

Work Boots

Just thought I would throw this out there... I’m obviously a trades guy so I have tested out many different boots. Timberland Pros (summer)and Red wings (winter)are normally my go to brands. However I landed on a 2 week job site that required steel toe. So I cheaped out and bought a pair of Smiths steel toes from Models while picking up some cheap thermals. Just about at the 2 week mark and these boots are holding up pretty well and are surprising comfortable. I added a thin isolation liner that was hanging at the register for $8. Boots were $64.99. So for under $75 I have a pair boots that get the job done. They are not my redwings but for a faction of the cost it’s was a good purchase.

jeff wilson 01-17-2019 10:33 AM

As long as your comfortable grilling sausage wear whatever you like

unstable bob gable 01-17-2019 10:38 AM

I need a new pair of steel toes. I'll have to check them outs.

sweetbmxrider 01-17-2019 10:42 AM

Good to have cheapies that you can destroy and smile about it :lol:

stoney2677 01-17-2019 04:10 PM

Modells also has lined carpenter pants for $20. Only worn once but seem well made.

Jersey Mike 01-17-2019 05:24 PM

If steel toe is not a requirement, the Timberland Pro series offers an excellent 8" boot with great thermal protection. They run a hardened composite toe, so there's still decent protection there without worrying about losing a toe. The only gripe is that they're heavier than a Mopar. I think they're typically around $180ish on Amazon.

For summer use, I've really enjoyed 5.11's lightweight stuff. They're not made for rugged use, but probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. The cons are they're made for breathability and comfort, not trench worn in all elements. If you have a pair you can wear on rainy days, then give the 5.11s a try at least once.

Anti_Rice_Guy 01-17-2019 05:28 PM

I went to Bob's discount a while back and got CAT 8" boots that walk like a sneaker but insulated with a steel toe. I even ran a snowshoe race with them on. Best of everything and would buy another set in a heartbeat, and I think they were $100 back then. Here's the link to what they are. https://www.catfootwear.com/US/en/fl...M_color=P89988

I have my winter Keen and Red Wings, and summer Red Wings. Granted, some are carryover from working in the field days - now in sales my boots last a lot longer. Having two pair of boots to rotate definitely makes a huge difference as well.

MDSheds_SS 01-17-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff wilson (Post 950972)
As long as your comfortable grilling sausage wear whatever you like

This made me lol.

sweetbmxrider 01-17-2019 07:14 PM

What socks do you guys like? I have the carhartt all-terrain boot socks and they have been good for all but extreme cold temps, like last winter when it was below zero overnight :lol: Have some thickkkk ones for those cold days, dono what exactly as they were a gift 8-)

MDSheds_SS 01-17-2019 07:39 PM

Timberland outdoor

LTb1ow 01-18-2019 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 950980)
What socks do you guys like? I have the carhartt all-terrain boot socks and they have been good for all but extreme cold temps, like last winter when it was below zero overnight :lol: Have some thickkkk ones for those cold days, dono what exactly as they were a gift 8-)

Two pairs, one thinner inside, and a thick wool/fancy fabric outside. That and a 1000gr lacrosse muck boot. 8-) If its really cold and I'm not moving, toss a couple hand warmers in there for good measure.

For my work boots, I grabbed some cheaper Bates with the composite toe (they satisfied the work requirement somehow). Granted just a desk jockey here, but they have been a nice boot for what they cost.

LS1ow 01-18-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 950977)
If steel toe is not a requirement, the Timberland Pro series offers an excellent 8" boot with great thermal protection. They run a hardened composite toe, so there's still decent protection there without worrying about losing a toe. The only gripe is that they're heavier than a Mopar. I think they're typically around $180ish on Amazon.

For summer use, I've really enjoyed 5.11's lightweight stuff. They're not made for rugged use, but probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. The cons are they're made for breathability and comfort, not trench worn in all elements. If you have a pair you can wear on rainy days, then give the 5.11s a try at least once.

Lot of work boot intel from you. You come off more like an ugg boot kinda guy.

sweetbmxrider 01-19-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1ow (Post 950983)
Lot of work boot intel from you. You come off more like an ugg boot kinda guy.

Prob one of those annoying desk jockies that gets to go on a field trip once a month to tell the men how to incorrectly do their jobs :nick:

IROCZman15 01-19-2019 06:29 AM

for at least a decade I've mostly used timberland pros for outdoor work. I do part time masonry/construction plus my own house projects and mechanical projects. Timberland Pros have always served me well. Towards the end of their lifespan I usually get water leaking in between the tread and the boot. I had one pair of Wolverine boots and they were pretty good too. I have tried a set of Smiths, and they definitely felt lighter weight but less forgiving on the feet. Also, BOTH of the soles/treads peeled off from the bottoms but only after months of heavy duty use. To get me through that week I just wrapped some tape around the whole boot and detached treads, was funny looking but worked. photo attached of them in front of the toolshed I built at my house this past august. https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7837/...3d0a588479.jpg

at my day job on patrol I wear the 6" tall 5-11 tactical boots most of the time, but for big snow storms I will wear a high top set of Danner boots. expensive, but very worth it.

TaKid455 01-19-2019 08:48 AM

Irish Setters have proven well. A set of Snap-on socks in the winter and all is good. I recommend SO socks.

B4C 01-19-2019 07:01 PM

Used to wear wolverine durashocks but the soles always split open on them. Switched to timberland pros and never looked back, I stand on concrete all day and they seem to be the only boots that dont make my heels hurt after a day of standing

Featherburner 01-19-2019 09:55 PM

I was a big fan of Rocky Eliminators. That is until the price went through the roof!

unstable bob gable 01-20-2019 11:40 AM

I just picked up some Dickies socks. They are very comfy.

ar0ck 01-21-2019 12:48 PM

Not nearly as heavy duty, but I do a considerable amount of walking/hiking and for casual work boots I had Timberland Earth Keepers and I wore through the soles in about 2 years. I still have a pair of Bates that are going on 9 years and they are so well broken in and comfortable for the summer time that I can even run in them. I've retired those to the field and bought a pair of Danners but they have proven impossible to break in, but I like the fact that they can be re-soled if and when the day comes.