NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ya know what I miss.... (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67637)

unstable bob gable 03-27-2017 12:35 PM

Ya know what I miss....

I miss the days of going to 7-11 and buying car magazines. I used to go after work, get my mags, and grab some chili dogs at Texas Weiner and just hang out and read for a while. And that don't happen anymore. 2 of my favs, Popular Hot Rodding and GM High Tech are gone, and I subscribe to Hot Rod, so it's not the same. I went to Barnes and Noble the other day to see if I could grab a Car Craft, but they didn't have it and they had nothing else that interested me. Oh well...

Jersey Mike 03-27-2017 01:31 PM

"...the 80s." ?

unstable bob gable 03-27-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 936227)
"...the 80s." ?

This was far into the 2000's.

Jersey Mike 03-27-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 936227)
"...the 80s." ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable bob gable (Post 936228)
This was far into the 2000's.

more generally re: thread title.

elle 03-27-2017 02:20 PM

I miss walking into the deli at 7 am or lunch time and seeing all the guys with the skin mags wide open. lol

The real dirty ones came in sealed bags:nod:

elle 03-27-2017 02:22 PM

I used to drive to Flemington for all the hard to find car mags.

Nothing beat the Swimsuit issue of SI

My favorite mags were Full Cry (coon hunting) and Fur Fish and Game

unstable bob gable 03-27-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 936229)
more generally re: thread title.

Oh, most definitely!

jeff wilson 03-27-2017 05:53 PM

My favorite mags were Full Cry (coon hunting) and Fur Fish and Game[/QUOTE]

Got Walkers in the back yard if you ever down this way and wanna look up at coon.

jeff wilson 03-27-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable bob gable (Post 936223)
I miss the days of going to 7-11 and buying car magazines. I used to go after work, get my mags, and grab some chili dogs at Texas Weiner and just hang out and read for a while. And that don't happen anymore. 2 of my favs, Popular Hot Rodding and GM High Tech are gone, and I subscribe to Hot Rod, so it's not the same. I went to Barnes and Noble the other day to see if I could grab a Car Craft, but they didn't have it and they had nothing else that interested me. Oh well...

I know what you mean, i couldnt wait to get gm high in the mail. The mailbox has nothing but sadness in it these days

elle 03-27-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff wilson (Post 936237)
My favorite mags were Full Cry (coon hunting) and Fur Fish and Game

Got Walkers in the back yard if you ever down this way and wanna look up at coon.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Heck I don't know anyone still coon hunting. The guys I hunted with had Walkers. I had a Bluetick and my Dad had a Redbone. My dad hunted 60's -70's. I hunted in the 80's to about 90. Once fur prices tanked, a few hunters died and dogs passed we all stopped. I quit hunting everything about 15 yrs ago. Got tired of permits, zones and all the bs.

We used to go out almost every night once the season started. Best hunting I ever did. We tried a few competitions but there was so much cheating and drugged dogs we stuck with our own hunting.

Thanks for the offer!!

sweetbmxrider 03-27-2017 07:32 PM

Am I the only one that thought coon hunting and fur fish were in reference to dirty mags?

:lol:

Jersey Mike 03-27-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 936241)
Am I the only one that thought coon hunting and fur fish were in reference to dirty mags?

Guilty :lol:

unstable bob gable 03-27-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff wilson (Post 936238)
I know what you mean, i couldnt wait to get gm high in the mail. The mailbox has nothing but sadness in it these days

Yeah just bs and bills. It does make me happy to get Hot Rod though.

elle 03-28-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider (Post 936241)

:rofl::kneeslap::nod:

edpontiac91 03-29-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unstable bob gable (Post 936248)
Yeah just bs and bills. It does make me happy to get Hot Rod though.

Yeah, it was fun to stop at the magazine section at stores like Shop-Rite/ Stop & Shop/ Barnes and Noble etc. At the end of every month, I was like a kid in a candy store with new issues of High Performance Pontiac-High Tech Performance-Super Chevy-Musclecar Review-Hemmings Muscle Car etc. My 6 page article was one of the last few PRINTED HPP issues before it went to a website only. If anybody would like to view it, here is the Hot Rod website where it now resides! http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/...ontiac-formula

dgPltt 03-29-2017 08:03 PM

I used to read all of the above magazines starting in the mid nineties on, till you couldn't find some of them anymore. I actually kept a lot of them and have hundreds of issues stashed in the garage. One of these days I will go through and read some again. Last time I did that was in 06 when I was buying a set of radir wheels for my camaro and remembered seeing the article on the Grapes of Wrath Camaro. I liked the stance of that car and I think it was in Car Craft. I sorted through all my magazines to find the article and get the backspacing. Who else use to pick up the news print autotrader back in the day for free.

unstable bob gable 03-29-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgPltt (Post 936296)
Who else use to pick up the news print autotrader back in the day for free.

Oh, hell yeah!

elle 03-30-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgPltt (Post 936296)
Who else use to pick up the news print autotrader back in the day for free.

I'm not sure I remember it being free but I bought it every Tuesday or Thursday(?). The internet would have saved me a lot of miles and fuel then. I drove and looked at so many cars that ended up being junk. They looked mint in those black and white photos.

Does anyone still read The Treasure Hunt?

unstable bob gable 03-30-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 936303)

I always see some copies of that floating around work.

Punkmaster 98 03-30-2017 07:21 PM

as of recent ive been buying bundles of car craft mags from the 90s. good reads

dgPltt 03-30-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle (Post 936303)
I'm not sure I remember it being free but I bought it every Tuesday or Thursday(?). The internet would have saved me a lot of miles and fuel then. I drove and looked at so many cars that ended up being junk. They looked mint in those black and white photos.

Think you are right, funny how memory can change things. I think "auto shopper" was free and "auto trader" which was a million times better was like $1.25 or something.

WayFast84 04-01-2017 06:43 AM

I liked getting GM Hightech but as cool as car magazines were, Youtube is basically the replacement for mags. Roadkill, Mighty Car Mods, The Smoking Tire, 1320 Video and tons more are free and available any time. Some of them are on Netflix now and are going to be on Discovery Channel.

I also heard a rumor that they are bringing back Monster garage.

IROCZman15 04-01-2017 07:26 AM

Growing up I had subscriptions to about 5-7 car mags and 2 motorcycle mags as well.. there was always something showing up in the mail every few days. this all started when I was 15 years old. slowly (not by my choice) the magazines flow has dwindled down to only 3 subscriptions a month. as we know, many of the magazines collapsed or were merged in with their parent mags. sad. I kept every single issue starting back in the late 90's and stored them all in 3 FULL sized plastic tucker container bins. Each one probably weighed about 60 pounds. just about 2 years ago I began re-reading them. I had kept them because my tech knowledge at the time was just beginning so I knew reading them later in life would be valuable. Back then I would just cut out the cool car photos and tape them on every wall of my room and every wall of each room I had during college. Man, those days were good! Now re-reading them, I tear out the pertinent tech articles and the remaining cool car photos and file them away accordingly, then put the remainder of the mag in the recycle.

As cool as it is to have the youtube shows and the websites like chevy-hardcore.com... they will never satisfy me the same way as a color printed magazine had done. I know the world is changing and internet car mags are the future, but that doesn't mean I have to keep up with that pace.

Blacdout96 04-01-2017 07:42 PM

Most car mags at my local grocer or news stand have been pushed out for health and "best sex ever" cosmo mags save for DuPont Registry and R&T. To get any decent mags or even my favorite ones "Vintage Motorsports" I have to go to Books a Million, and they only opened up because Borders closed it's doors.

ar0ck 04-01-2017 08:20 PM

I still ocassonally pick up magazines at Barnes & Noble, I stare at a computer screen for 9hrs a day, its nice to read print every now and then. I was obsessed with GM Hightech back in the day, but now its mostly British Sport Bike stuff & Firearms.