NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   1998 TA Door Skin is loose (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63093)

S1ck_WS6 04-16-2013 11:36 AM

1998 TA Door Skin is loose

A week or so ago the wind caught my driver side door and blew it open and it popped the door skin loose and has progressivly become worse ever since.

I've spent most of the morning searching and haven't come up with much on "How to" fix or replace this.

Any helpful input would be apriciated.

V 04-16-2013 12:45 PM

easiest is to replace the door.

otherwise you need to remove the whole panel, chip/clean off all old exopy on skin and frame. then use an appropriate exopy to rebond it. the process of cleaning off the old adhesive has to be perfect and will be tough since any bit left could cause the skin not to sit flush.

sweetbmxrider 04-16-2013 12:55 PM

Yeah a body shop should have the proper epoxy for the job.

Jersey Mike 04-16-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 877914)
easiest is to replace the door.

otherwise you need to remove the whole panel, chip/clean off all old exopy on skin and frame. then use an appropriate exopy to rebond it. the process of cleaning off the old adhesive has to be perfect and will be tough since any bit left could cause the skin not to sit flush.

Don't you have one for sale? I thought I saw one in your storage area...

S1ck_WS6 04-16-2013 03:33 PM

Yeah a body shop quoted me 600.00 to get it fixed, if I could find a black door I'd just replace it.

Thanks for the info.

transmaro93 04-16-2013 04:18 PM

any type of two part "multi-panel" adhesive should work should u decide to fix it... clean off old glue with mini sander or very carefully with grind disc. be carefull not to eat into the fiberglass door frame. once that clue is off scuff surface with some 100 or 80 grit sand paper and do the same to the door skin also... run a bead on the door frame all around and then on the skin all around. spread it out smooth with a plastic spreader so that the bead is now flat. on ly like 1mm or 2mm thick. and plop skin on making sure its straight and lined up like it was before and clamp it down with some spring clamps (be sure to put rags on the outside of the painted body so you dont scratch paint) come back in 24hr and remove clamps... should be good as new.. or look for used door is easiest but will cost alot more then a $40 tube of glue and some sand paper

S1ck_WS6 04-16-2013 06:59 PM

I'd be willing to pay some one local to Robinsville that could do it but I don't have access to a garage as I live in an apartment, to do it properly myself.

I think I'll just keep a eye out for a new black door.

creeper 04-17-2013 04:15 PM

I thought I posted up pictures of my repair on here, I just ripped the old adhesive out, ran a bead of panel bonding adhesive down it, and clamped it for a few hours. It's been holding for a few months

B4C 04-17-2013 05:02 PM

Sent you a pm I have a black door.

S1ck_WS6 04-18-2013 12:13 PM

Pm sent

townsend 04-18-2013 07:18 PM

plastic weld and a dremel with a wire wheel. takes 5 minutes. costs 12 bux. done