NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   T5 vs. T56 questions (conversion) (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17043)

V 04-14-2006 12:07 PM

T5 vs. T56 questions (conversion)

Ok, i have a few questions about a future T5 --> T56 swap.
First, what is the difference in overall length of the T5 compared the the T56?
I know i will need a new crossmember, but those are available for the car or i can modify the current one or make one.
As for the clutch, i will be buying a new lt1 one(stock will be fine) and i assume the lt1 pressure plate will bolt up to the 88 Flywheel that came with the T5.
The hydraulics.. will the external slave of the T5 bolt up to the lt1 bellhousing. I know it wouldnt work with the ls1 setup, but i figure the t5/lt1T56 may swap. If not, Can i possibly just swap the slave and leave the t5 master and line? otherwise ill just change the full hydraulics to lt1 version, but id like to save some money since the t5 hydraulics only have like 2k miles on them.
The main nice thing i'll like about the T56 is that the shifter comes straight up, and i wont have to deal with that stupid tilted bellhousing and bent shifter anymore.

deadtrend1 04-14-2006 12:35 PM

what vehicle are you swapping it into???

V 04-14-2006 12:42 PM

its going into the 87 Monte SS, 350 TPI motor

i looked into it and i probably need a new flywheel, unless i can use a lt1 clutch disc in a t5 pressure plate setup.

It has the T5 now with a 3" driveshaft from a 70 cutlass.
Also has a custom modified trans crossmember for the T5. But i can buy a t56 dual exhoats g-body crossmember for like 110.
And the tilted bellhousing is annoyign now as th where it locates the shifter in the monte. with the t56, itll feel better.

The t56 also has a PRO-5.0 shifter...anyone have this? reviews?

V 04-14-2006 01:07 PM

After some more looking around, i found that an LT1 clutch disc is:
11.0" diameter, 1 1/8" 26 spline.
I found Ram clutch setups for like 290, and then id have to buy a flywheel too still. BUT... now i checked the size of a 83-92 clutch disc...that is:
10.5" diameter, 1 1/8" 26 spline
Only difference is the diameter, so that means the input shaft of the T56 will fit perfectly.
The motor is not putting out enough power yet where that .5" will make any difference.
Now as long as the lt1 bellhousing puts it at the correct depth and the pilot bearing fits, im all set almost. I just need to look into the cluthc slave issue now.

V 04-14-2006 01:20 PM

ok, if the tpi slave wont bolt up to the lt1 bellhousing, i found out that the tpi clutch hose will directly connect into the lt slave, so i wont have to change the master or line, whoohoo, this swap will be cake!

and in the process..i found the part i need to solve another t5 project dilema i was having. life is very good today.

Last thing now is figure out how long the T56 is compared to the T5 so i can figure out abotu the driveshaft and then how far away the trans mounts are located so i can make a t56 crossmember(or just buy one)

deadtrend1 04-14-2006 01:24 PM

damn your reasearching it faster then i can. I was gonna say the size of the disks are different and i was looking into the slave cylinder.

Hows a monte t/q arm bolt up to the T5? like a thirdgen does?

V 04-14-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1
damn your reasearching it faster then i can. I was gonna say the size of the disks are different and i was looking into the slave cylinder.

Hows a monte t/q arm bolt up to the T5? like a thirdgen does?

lol, yeah i got nothign else to do right now, i didnt think it would be so easy to find the answers.

Montes dont have TQ arms, they have 4 rear controls arms, basically like a 4 link setup. The lower control arms swap exactly with 82-02 f body arms, and the upper are shorter and bolt to the top of the g-body 10 bolt housing. Adjustable uppers are available to adjust the pinion angle.

so now my Gf will finally have her 6 speed...i guess heads and cam are my next job. lol

V 04-14-2006 05:07 PM

ok more info..
T5 and T56(lt1) are almost the exact same length, so that means my current driveshaft can stay.

one problem i did find, lt1 t56 uses a pull type slave cylinder for the clutch, T5 uses a push. That may mean i would have to do a true LT1 clutch, and possibly flywheel. once i get the trans in front of me with the bellhousing, ill see for sure what ill ave to do.

As for the T56 trans mount, it is 3" further back than the one on the T5, so that means new crossmember. not a big deal, i'll be able to sell my current custom T5 one which i bought a while back.

Savage_Messiah 04-18-2006 12:07 AM

Why ask when you answered everything yourself? :lol:

V 04-18-2006 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah
Why ask when you answered everything yourself? :lol:

cuz i hope someone may know the answers all off hand, but off course what i need to know, no one knows.

right now from more researching, it looks like i cant use the t5 flywheel and clutch, i do need the lt1 flywheel and a lt1 clutch. i can possibly use the stock slave with sometype of spacer.

V 04-21-2006 12:07 AM

ok i said screw it. i just bought a LT1 flywheel, a lt1 clutch, a LT1 slave cylinder and a lt1 clutch hose line. I'm just going to use the clutch master from my current setup, and all the rest will be LT1. All that will be direct bolt in and only modification i will have to make so far will be to the trans crossmember to move the trans mounting point 3" back.

metalhead212121 04-23-2006 07:21 PM

SmokinSS- Im in the same boat as you.. Pulled out the T-5 and Im getting ready to put a T-56 in. Thats why I made a post (in the classified section) looking for t-56 parts. Im probably gonna "break down" and go to the dealer and get what I need... To the person that PM'ed me a dealer that would help me out (I think it was a guy named Jonxx??) Thanks for the info..I'll gvie him a call monday morning and see if what his cost is vs. what the dealer by me wants (I get a discount)

Dan

V 04-23-2006 07:27 PM

yeah, I got my t56, bellhousing, flyhweel, pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing, clutch fork, and a pro 5-0 shifter all from one guy. And i just bought a lt1 clutch hose and slave a few days ago. I'm gonna try to keep my 3rd gen clutch master since i is practically new. My install is a bit trickier since its not in a camaro/firebird. Its goign in a 87 Monte carlo SS that i converted to T5 about a year ago and my GF has been daily driving it since NOV., but now i found a good deal on the T56 so i said what the hell. Only thing i need to do once the T5 is out, is to extend the crossmember mounting pad back 3 inches to fit the T56. luckily driveshafts are the same.. oh and i'll have to trim the shifter hole opening back about 2-3 inches as well, but thats not a big deal.