NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine / Power / Tuning (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Engine build / Machine shop for LS1? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66367)

V 08-30-2015 05:12 PM

Engine build / Machine shop for LS1?

Ok, I finally have my motor out and mostly torn down.
It's a 2002 LS1 longblock. (approx 169k miles as far as I know)

I want to have a machine shop check it out to make sure its good and to do some minor work on it before I assemble it.

I would like to keep it the factory bore size. Maybe just a light hone of the cylinders. I pulled the heads today and I can still see the crosshatching on all the cylinder walls and there was no scoring I could see nor any real lip at the top of the bores.

I want to use the stock crank and rods so I'd need them all checked to make sure now have damaged bearings. So I assume a hone of the crank journals would be worth it. If the crank and rods all are good, I'd also like to use std size bearings for them as well. Main caps would use factory bolts and the rod bolts would be ARP hardware. Obviously I'd have the machine shop install new cam bearings. I'd eventually be installing an MS3 camshaft. I'd also see about welding up the cracked ground bolt boss I mentioned in my other thread.

How much should I expect to pay for the cleaning, checking and honing?
I would be doing all the assembly myself. (I have assembled several engine in the past.)
Do my plans seem reasonable? Am I forgetting anything major?

As for the heads, I have a set of 243 heads which will be sent out to AI for a CNC porting. Other random items in the build will include an LS6 valley cover, ported/polished TB, LS6 intake manifold, electric waterpump, dual spring valve springs, trunion rocker conversion, arp head studs, and ls7 clutch. Basically I'm building a clone of my old SS motor, just with ported heads now. I may consider moving up to a FAST intake manifold but not right away.

LTb1ow 08-30-2015 05:29 PM

My machine shop charged me ~300 I believe for cylinder hone, block wash, and to clean up crank.

Your plans seem very similar to what I did, so I would say their sound. :lol: If you can find a nice mic and bore transfer gauge I would say def verify crank OD, and main ID.

Dudbird113 08-30-2015 08:49 PM

Depends where your located

V 08-30-2015 09:12 PM

I'm near to NYC, but no issue traveling. Took a car to DE for a tune a while ago.

sweetbmxrider 08-31-2015 07:02 AM

Really have to see what everything specs out at. If its good staying factory, go with that. If not, no big deal.

V 09-08-2015 04:17 PM

Pictures of the bearings/journals(rod & main, oil on rod bearing/journal). All the rest look like these.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...psbjqfc5sq.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...ps3ekv1qlo.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...pstx2omqdn.jpg

LTb1ow 09-09-2015 06:30 AM

Looks like it can all be polished up and not need a under cut. But, have a machine shop look at em.

V 09-10-2015 07:14 AM

Weston machine shop in piscataway nj.... anyone ever use them or heard of them? They seem to deal a lot with ls motors. I think id try them checking and cleaning up the block/heads.

Jersey Mike 09-10-2015 09:10 AM

Paging BLS. BLS to aisle V, please.

MyFirstZ 09-10-2015 10:24 AM

I had my crank cut during my last build but it was sublet out from the machine shop that did the engine work and to top it off that builder moved locations. But if you can get hold of charlie at miele (machine shop) they may give you his new number and find out who he uses for the crank

but so far he has done my head work on the 243's I had and he did all the machine work on my 6.0

as far as pricing the heads ended up costing 300 in milling, cleaning and checking. Had him do something else to them but this was 4ish years ago.

the block work was 1100 for, bore, new main, cam and rod bearings, installing supplied ARP hardware, cutting the crank and assembling the short block. But he had it all itemized and i believe the bore/hone and cleaning was around 300

V 09-10-2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 921231)
Paging BLS. BLS to aisle V, please.

Does that mean there was an issue?

My neighbor was telling me there's a place he uses in Paterson. He's going to get me the name.

I'm on the fence about sending the 243 heads to AI for a full race porting, basic porting, or just have them cleaned up locally.

Blackbirdws6 09-10-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 921247)

My neighbor was telling me there's a place he uses in Paterson. He's going to get me the name.

I'm on the fence about sending the 243 heads to AI for a full race porting, basic porting, or just have them cleaned up locally.

He was paging me likely because I live in the same town. I have not heard or dealt with them but if you want, I can try to find time to swing by and check it out.

Jersey Mike 09-10-2015 08:35 PM

:nod: The Ginger is all knowing.

FlyingDutchman 09-10-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Haledon Auto parts has a full service machine shop which is in prospect park (borders Paterson / Haledon / North Haledon). They just did my short block and cleaned the heads. Excellent work and the guy Steve is very knowledgable/experienced, I'd recommend them.

NJ Torque 09-11-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

I'd have them do a base port job... good results from it.

V 09-12-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Torque (Post 921278)
I'd have them do a base port job... good results from it.

That's what I was thinking, but the full race porting is only 500 more then.
For an extra 20-30 hp even, 500 isn't a bad deal.
I'm basically building a clone of my old SS motor, which was a stock LS6 with a cam and bolt-ons. That made 425rwhp. My goal now though is to try to hit 475-500 or at least closer to it. Head porting and a FAST intake setup may be how I try to accomplish that. Hence the thought of full porting.

A base port and keeping my LS6 intake and ported stock TB, I should be at least around 440.

Firehawk441 10-14-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 921225)
Weston machine shop in piscataway nj.... anyone ever use them or heard of them? They seem to deal a lot with ls motors. I think id try them checking and cleaning up the block/heads.

I don't mean to be sarcastic to this question but, this is the First time I've ever seen someone ask about Charlie Weston's abilities.

He is a legend as far as machinists go.
You should feel fortunate if he agrees to work on your project.

redsoxsstink 10-14-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97camaro (Post 921252)
Haledon Auto parts has a full service machine shop which is in prospect park (borders Paterson / Haledon / North Haledon). They just did my short block and cleaned the heads. Excellent work and the guy Steve is very knowledgable/experienced, I'd recommend them.

my dad and i use him as well. hes done my dads big block and my small block. cant complain and i think very well priced.

V 10-14-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firehawk441 (Post 921853)
I don't mean to be sarcastic to this question but, this is the First time I've ever seen someone ask about Charlie Weston's abilities.

He is a legend as far as machinists go.
You should feel fortunate if he agrees to work on your project.

I only asked because I saw a thread on ls1tech mentioning him. Ive always had engine work done locally but all the shops by me are out of business. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting or questioning his abilities in any way. But if someone here used him and could say anything about him like "he has so much work that he's backlogged for a year or so" or " he charges top dollar but is worth it", it would be good to know. Perhaps he's too qualified for my simple project. Seems that's what you think based on your comment.

Firehawk441 10-14-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 921857)
I only asked because I saw a thread on ls1tech mentioning him. Ive always had engine work done locally but all the shops by me are out of business. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting or questioning his abilities in any way. But if someone here used him and could say anything about him like "he has so much work that he's backlogged for a year or so" or " he charges top dollar but is worth it", it would be good to know. Perhaps he's too qualified for my simple project. Seems that's what you think based on your comment.

Charlie does High End machine work including making billet engine blocks for Pat Mussi.
I've used him for installing lifter bushings and CNC work for belt drives.
I'm not sure if he does basic engine work like you're looking for.
Can't hurt to call and ask. He's as good as they come.
http://westonmachine.com/