NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission and Driveline (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Transmission Mount (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8508)

bad64chevelle 12-20-2004 04:01 AM

Transmission Mount

OK, I finally did it in, I demolished the tranny mount and now have to find a new one. I have been searching for a while and cannot seem to find a part number or anything. All I need is a poly Trans mount for my A4, anyone ever bought one, and where from? dont happen to have a part number do ya? thanks for the help!
Jon

Mister_Johnny99 12-20-2004 05:36 AM

DON'T DO IT!
I had one in for a week and it was HORRIBLE!
The whole car vibrated and Buzzed.
I pulled it out the following weekend.

Tru2Chevy 12-20-2004 09:26 AM

I've ridden in cars with them before and haven't noticed any odd vibrations or anything....

You can pick them up from most parts stores, the local Autozone in Ewing keeps them right on the shelf. GM rwd auto tranny mounts are pretty much all the same. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

Here is a link to a pic of one: http://www.spohn.net/productimages/TransMt_big.JPG

- Justin

bad64chevelle 12-20-2004 11:03 AM

OK thanks for the input guys. I actually have one I think from my chevelle that I may use. Looks exactly the same!

Slow Z 12-20-2004 12:14 PM

My mom has a 99 Z28 6-speed. Of course I broke the tranny mount the first time I drove it. I replaced it with a ES mount and I'll be damned if that thing dont shake like a leaf going down the highway. Its EXTREMELY annoying.

ar0ck 12-20-2004 02:16 PM

I broke my stocker when I put in my TH350 tranny. I replaced it was an Energy Suspension one. They go by the transmission you have.

84HOtransam 12-20-2004 05:33 PM

it was broken when i bought my car..and i killed it again on the last day of highschool....

i just keep replacing the rubber one for free from AutoZone it has a lifetime warrantee. it takes 15 minutes...

I look at it this way…better the 6 dollar rubber trans mount snaps and I get a new one for free then something more expensive breaking…(rear, trans, u joints).

bad64chevelle 12-20-2004 08:55 PM

lifetime warranty eh? sounds good to me! Ill keep breakin em they can keep given em! Thats on the list now thanks alot!

The Fixer 12-20-2004 09:17 PM

If the stock replacement part you get is a crappy hollow rubber piece, you will shred it in no time. Ask for Anchor-brand #2337 - it's a solid rubber trans mount. Stronger than stock, without the vibrations associated with a poly trans mount.

Mister_Johnny99 12-22-2004 12:43 PM

Anyone know if the OE 1LE mount is still available?
I tried to get one, but it was supperceded to a different #.
Now I'm not sure if the new # is just the standard part or the stiffer one.

foff667 12-22-2004 01:35 PM

dunno ive loved every car ive owned thats had a poly tranny mount ive never had vibration issues.

V 12-22-2004 01:41 PM

ive had the energy suspension mount in 2 of my past 3rd gens, i didnt notice any problems or vibrations either. as far as im concerned whenever i need one, i'm installing an ES poly one. The SS is getting it when i do the motor swap. of course ill have all race only suspension so a little more noise and vibration wouldnt be noticeable. I put a brand new stock mount in my 88 iroc and it broke after just one strong shift...yes the oem are cheaper but my time is valuable to change it every time. if you want a smooth ride, buy a honda or such, if you want a sports car, deal with some road feel. JMO.

Mister_Johnny99 12-23-2004 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokingSS
ive had the energy suspension mount in 2 of my past 3rd gens, i didnt notice any problems or vibrations either. Â*as far as im concerned whenever i need one, i'm installing an ES poly one. Â*The SS is getting it when i do the motor swap. of course ill have all race only suspension so a little more noise and vibration wouldnt be noticeable. I put a brand new stock mount in my 88 iroc and it broke after just one strong shift...yes the oem are cheaper but my time is valuable to change it every time. Â*if you want a smooth ride, buy a honda or such, if you want a sports car, deal with some road feel. JMO.

I've got all BMR poly suspension, and I've got no problems with that.
The problem wasn't "road feel". The whole car just "buzzed". It's not that the car wasn't driveable, but this is a daily driver, not a race car. I just couldn't feel that much difference to justify that annoyance every day.
And if you broke yours after one shift, you've either got MASSIVE amounts of torque, or you've got another problem. When you say "brand new stock mount", are you talkin' 'bout a GM part or some cheap aftermarket one?
Idunno, maybe it's just MY car.

V 12-23-2004 08:59 AM

the mount i broke was a new gm part and it was the first day i had my 88 iroc convert on the road with the new 383 stroker engine :lol: . i guess its a matter of choice as to what type of mount to use. the "buzzing" may have been from other poly pieces, not just the tranny mount, but i admit, i wasnt in your car so you could be right. On my SS, my whole rear suspension wont have even one polyurethane bushing, it'll all be spherical rod ends. i'm just going to use poly stuff on the front a arms and sway bars.

camaroracer1992 12-27-2004 10:29 PM

poly mounts rock!!!! i have approx 500 rear wheel horsepower now with my 355/700r4 combo and wont run anythign else. you want shaking like a leaf get solid mounts, what a bitch!!!

89 Trans Am WS6 12-27-2004 11:05 PM

i heard that if you get poly trans mount and not motor mounts its no good because it puts more stress on the rubber motor mounts. think about it.