NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Are online used car value guides accurate....? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68608)

V 09-16-2018 01:33 PM

Are online used car value guides accurate....?

Are online used car value guides accurate when it comes to them automatically making adjustments for mileage and condition?

Car is a 2014, 1 owner, bought new as a leftover in 3/2015.
Current mileage is around 7000.
Dealer serviced twice.
Condition is perfect, no marks anywhere. Not a ding or rock chip on body, interior also perfect. No food/drink/ smoking ever in it. Parked mostly in shade with towel kept over steering wheel. Rarer color leather interior.

What would be best way to get a true value? In person appraisal? If so, how much does that cost?

I just don't feel that a typical similar 2014 model would compare fairly.

Anti_Rice_Guy 09-16-2018 04:13 PM

Are you looking to get a proper price to sell it? Or what is your end game for this information?

V 09-16-2018 04:52 PM

My end game is getting the right amount of money from insurance if need be, thanks to some idiot putting a Ford econoline van where the 1/4 used to be.

6spdg37s 09-16-2018 07:25 PM

i would comparison shop similar models on cars.com and stuff and use that to gauge it as well

Anti_Rice_Guy 09-17-2018 09:40 AM

MY friend who owns Plaid Motors body shop in Lyndhurst said this about the situation:

"For a 2014. The insurance company's computer will tell them what it's worth. If he is just getting a repair. They only pay certain labor rates that they decide and whatever parts are worth. There is very little arguing with insurance unless its totaled then you can make a case sometimes to squeeze some extra money"

V 09-17-2018 04:07 PM

Well when I said if need be, I meant if they total it. As of right now due to the extent of the damage it looks like it will be a total loss. Hence why I want a fair payout based on this exact car, not one based of kbb or Edmunds alone. Only problem is that the low mileage raises the 70% repair threshold number and may force a repair. However, i still see it being folded due to suspension damage on right rear(awd car, left side was hit) and wrinkles in roof.

V 09-25-2018 05:35 PM

Well, the other person had a $5,000 insurance policy. So.... not gonna do anything for us. Going to have to go through our insurance, figure out whats going to happen with the car, and then our insurance will go after the person/company themselves to recover money. I just don't understand how a commercial vehicle only has 5,000 max coverage. Going to have to look into their business insurance, but probably don't have that either, being they seem to be a fly-by-night local courier service.

BonzoHansen 09-25-2018 08:54 PM

I thought state minimum was 15k per incident.

Let your insurance company handle it. That's why you pay them. and you probably pay for uninsured/ under insured coverage is for.

V 09-25-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 949857)
I thought state minimum was 15k per incident.

That is personal injury I believe. Property damage is 5k.

The insurance agent first recommended to only go through their insurance since it was a hit and run situation. However now, yes, our insurance is involved.

BrandonDrecksage 09-30-2018 08:36 PM

Those online calculators are generally off.

If the car is totalled...you should be give the replacement value of the car.

Check your model year on cars.com and autotrader. Do a 500 mile search for vehicles that have similar miles. That should give you a pretty good idea on what you will get. You will also get the taxes back. So if they value the car at 40k. You will get 42800....assuming 7% tax.

I've had 2 different cars totalled by people who can't drive. Both times I got more than I thought they were worth.

Had a 99 as that I paid 7k for with 95k miles. Old lady t boned me and I got 11.5k for the car. Also had a 06 cobalt ss/a.c.. bought it for 16k and it got totalled 2 years later. I drove 60k in those 2 years. I actually got 16k for that.

V 09-30-2018 10:03 PM

Yea, still waiting to hear from insurance about the fate of the car. Hopefully we get some news tomorrow. Been 17 days since it was hit.

I searched for 2014 models and lowest I could find(quick search, not too detailed) was one with 24k miles for around $26k.

Policy does include "better car replacement" which says if the vehicle is totaled, they pay for a car one model year newer with 15,000 less miles. So that would be a 2015 with 0 miles. And I couldn't find any of those for sale online, lol.

I was also told in addition to taxes, also include title and other fees associated with buying the car.

BrandonDrecksage 09-30-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V (Post 949893)
Yea, still waiting to hear from insurance about the fate of the car. Hopefully we get some news tomorrow. Been 17 days since it was hit.

I searched for 2014 models and lowest I could find(quick search, not too detailed) was one with 24k miles for around $26k.

Policy does include "better car replacement" which says if the vehicle is totaled, they pay for a car one model year newer with 15,000 less miles. So that would be a 2015 with 0 miles. And I couldn't find any of those for sale online, lol.

I was also told in addition to taxes, also include title and other fees associated with buying the car.

yep...thats correct. also, if you did any major work to the car before the totaling..that could add value. putting 4 new tires on a month before or any major service.

V 09-30-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage (Post 949895)
yep...thats correct. also, if you did any major work to the car before the totaling..that could add value. putting 4 new tires on a month before or any major service.

Car had 7000 miles, lol, no major work was needed/done. Only had 2 oil changes ever.

V 10-11-2018 09:24 PM

Well, heard back from insurance today... total loss.
Now to wait to hear from the "total loss department" to see what they say the value is. They already know I'm going to dispute it. Previous claims adjuster handling the claim agreed with me that a 7,000 mile, basically brand new car isnt comparable to your typical used 2014 car.

V 10-20-2018 10:58 PM

Well, as expected, the initial valuation was low. I went over the report and found some errors. The following day they adjusted it for what I found and the payout went up 2k. I still feel it's low though. Also spoke with an appraiser who basically said fight for more money. An official appraisal is still in the possible future.

As far as a replacement car, I had been looking for something for my mother(her car btw)and found one which we made a deal on today. It's a certified pre-owned 2017 Cadillac cts, 2.0t awd. 12,900 miles and fully loaded, cold weather package and all. Also, same color(red obsession) as the 2014 ats4 that was totalled.

Her old 2014 ATS:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1960/...3e79635f_b.jpg

New car, 2017 CTS:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1923/...0b9d5654_z.jpg

unstable bob gable 10-21-2018 05:07 PM

That's a pretty color. And a great looking car

Featherburner 10-23-2018 08:23 PM

My father-in-law's Vette was totaled from Sandy. In passing, he said the insurance company sent him a check. I asked how much they paid. He said $28,000. I jumped online to look for a replacement and everything the same year and like mileage was $32,000-$33,000. I printed 5 comps and he sent them to his insurance company and told them they undervalued his car. They sent him another check for $4,500.

V 10-27-2018 01:20 PM

When did they stop making cars with gas caps? I got kinda confused the first time I filled up the CTS, lol.

sweetbmxrider 10-27-2018 06:57 PM

:rofl: