NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Tech (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Fuel Pump install - Access door Yea/Nay? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63330)

The_Bishop 05-30-2013 11:35 AM

Fuel Pump install - Access door Yea/Nay?

So I'm here looking at my racetronix pump and hotwire kit. I'm probably going to tackle this next week once the temps drop to a tolerable level.

Have any of you cut an access panel for the fuel pump? Looks to be a smart way to do it for future fuel pump changes. Any cons to doing this?

sweetbmxrider 05-30-2013 11:46 AM

:facepalm:

The_Bishop 05-30-2013 11:50 AM

What's with the facepalm?

sweetbmxrider 05-30-2013 11:57 AM

What's so hard about dropping the tank and not hacking your car up? If you do a clean access door after with proper sealing then I guess I can accept the hack attack.

WildBillyT 05-30-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 881665)
So I'm here looking at my racetronix pump and hotwire kit. I'm probably going to tackle this next week once the temps drop to a tolerable level.

Have any of you cut an access panel for the fuel pump? Looks to be a smart way to do it for future fuel pump changes. Any cons to doing this?

How frequently do you plan on changing your fuel pump?

deadtrend1 05-30-2013 12:06 PM

I would not cut a hole. Yours a bit harder since its a 98 but its not hard to drop the tank. In the driveway

LTb1ow 05-30-2013 12:07 PM

Are you not a firefighter?

The_Bishop 05-30-2013 12:15 PM

BMX - Well,I was thinking about the trap door, but I'm also here soliciting opinions. Being as the overall consensus is towards, "WTF, ARE YOU RETARDED NO" I'm now probably going to end up dropping the tank.

WildbillyT - After this time? Hopefully never.

LTB1ow - Saw your fuel pump shenanigans post from way back, it made me think twice. If I was going to cut it would have not been a cutoff wheel. I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

LTb1ow 05-30-2013 12:17 PM

Well, you know the general consensus of the above 21+ group, its a hack and a half in my eyes and just adds a risk to things.

But again, its only gasoline in a tank, worked fine for pintos I read.

WildBillyT 05-30-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 881677)
BMX - Well,I was thinking about the trap door, but I'm also here soliciting opinions. Being as the overall consensus is towards, "WTF, ARE YOU RETARDED NO" I'm now probably going to end up dropping the tank.

WildbillyT - After this time? Hopefully never.

LTB1ow - Saw your fuel pump shenanigans post from way back, it made me think twice. If I was going to cut it would have not been a cutoff wheel. I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

A bunch of guys got a bad run of Walbro pumps (or not even authentic Walbros) which lead to "mad crazy fuel pump shens".

If you're only changing it once, drop the tank.

sweetbmxrider 05-30-2013 12:25 PM

:rofl: I think I'm on #4 or #5, not a single hole was cut. If you have a 10 bolt its real easy. Just undo the shocks and phb and t/a and let it pivot all the way forward on the lcas. That should give enough room to angle the tank out by yourself. Probably the only pain would be a stubborn exhaust.

The_Bishop 05-30-2013 12:35 PM

LTB1ow - Yeah. Just was under the car looking at it, aside from dropping the exhaust it doesn't look *too* bad. If my friend's lift wasn't a 'drive on' style it would be a no brainer. Guess I'll be on my back in the driveway with the car on jackstands.

I guess I was trying to justify the 'hack'. :laugh:

WildBillyT - I bought the kit directly from Racetronix, so I'm hoping that helps with the fake pump problem.

BMX - Ok, Ok - You convinced me.

PolarBear 05-30-2013 12:40 PM

Someone did that hack in my 3rd gen. I plan on welding the hole closed and get it "stock" again in the future

deadtrend1 05-30-2013 12:41 PM

Remember to also remove gas cap and plastic surround in fuel door. Also take out the bolts that hold the brake and fuel lines to the frame.

LTb1ow 05-30-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadtrend1 (Post 881690)
Remember to also remove gas cap and plastic surround in fuel door. Also take out the bolts that hold the brake and fuel lines to the frame.

What?

Just undo the quick connects for the plastic lines up to the tank. Unless something is different for 98s, I never touched brake lines in the many times I did fuel pumps on mine.

Blackbirdws6 05-30-2013 01:04 PM

Proper way to do it is by dropping the tank as mentioned. Like anything else, if you have never done it before, it will take you longer than others more familiar with the process have stated.

I did the trap door and made a nice plate to seal it all up. Yes, you can call it a "hack" but I did it for ease of future troubleshooting. Especially considering I get to play with two pumps and not just one that can go bad.

deadtrend1 05-30-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 881701)
What?

Just undo the quick connects for the plastic lines up to the tank. Unless something is different for 98s, I never touched brake lines in the many times I did fuel pumps on mine.

So when you drop the rear it doesnt put tension on the brake lines bolted to the body.

LTb1ow 05-30-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 (Post 881702)
Proper way to do it is by dropping the tank as mentioned. Like anything else, if you have never done it before, it will take you longer than others more familiar with the process have stated.

I did the trap door and made a nice plate to seal it all up. Yes, you can call it a "hack" but I did it for ease of future troubleshooting. Especially considering I get to play with two pumps and not just one that can go bad.

Don't try and justify yourself here pal.

Blackbirdws6 05-30-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTb1ow (Post 881709)
Don't try and justify yourself here pal.

Not trying to justify it, just stating what went through my head. Not like I plan on selling the car to anyone else that would care. I give a few of you guys who got whiplashed credit for dropping the tank as many times as you have.

Dudbird113 05-30-2013 03:06 PM

I dropped mine out one the garage floor, no lift needed. Not even that hard to remove, just make sure the tanks empty.

The_Bishop 05-30-2013 04:47 PM

Yeah, doing that now by using the car to run errands. Got to drop about 1/4 tank more.

MyFirstZ 05-30-2013 06:10 PM

I'd cut the panel. You can buy door from any manufacture that uses access panels from inside the car. I'll be using one from a BMW when it comes time.

Dudbird113 05-31-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 881733)
Yeah, doing that now by using the car to run errands. Got to drop about 1/4 tank more.

Not sure if its on the 98+ bodies but if you dont empty the tank all the way you could always run the pump by jumping the fuel pump prime connector by the pcm just needs a 12v source ran to it. I jumped mine and undid the fuel line at the filter and let it piss into a fuel can

BonzoHansen 05-31-2013 07:38 AM

imo a proper door is ok - of course cut while the tank is out of the car. but it gets back to how many fuel pumps do you plan on changing.

PolarBear 05-31-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonzoHansen (Post 881758)
imo a proper door is ok - of course cut while the tank is out of the car. but it gets back to how many fuel pumps do you plan on changing.

As much as I would actually agree with this the whole point of them NOT putting in an access is for fire protection. If the car gets hit hard enough in the rear that area will deform.

That would be MY reasoning for call that a hack on anything other than a dedicated racecar