NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   North Jersey (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   ???Good Cheap Machine shops ??? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52385)

Flippindabird 07-23-2010 07:54 PM

???Good Cheap Machine shops ???

like the title says, but im not looking for top of the line "Lingenfelter Performance" types i just want to get some things done and not pay astronomical amounts, i found a shop that will set up my aluminum L98 heads(clean resurface simple valve job and reassemble everything with my new parts for $325) i NEED it to be cheaper i just cant afford that much for machine work i spent all my money on parts if im spending over 300 i want to get some good porting done too so if anyone knows of a guy/place in the north jersey area, prefer western North Jersey but if its cheap enough ill go all the way across... please let me know, thanks

creeper 07-23-2010 08:20 PM

could call Haledon Auto, never had anything done there except my flywheel resurfacing but they seem to know what they're doing

Flippindabird 07-23-2010 08:25 PM

where is it??

TaKid455 07-23-2010 09:15 PM

325 is actually a pretty decent price.

you could do it yourself with some sand paper, a block of wood or steel, and laping compound. chances are you will F something up though.

I want a GT3 Porsche, but 140k is too much. I just cant seem to find one for 3k. know where I can find one?

creeper 07-23-2010 11:11 PM

it's in Haledon hahah

mc73nova 07-24-2010 07:08 AM

I wouldn't let Haledon Auto shine my shoes. If you can't afford it, you should wait to have it done right. I'm not trying to sound like an ass but there are some things, when putting together a car, that shouldnt be cheaped out on.

nj85z28 07-24-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc73nova (Post 718214)
I wouldn't let Haledon Auto shine my shoes. If you can't afford it, you should wait to have it done right. I'm not trying to sound like an ass but there are some things, when putting together a car, that shouldnt be cheaped out on.

I agree. I would take it someone who knows what they are doing. and professional work isnt cheap.

Flippindabird 07-27-2010 10:19 AM

wow, that wasnt helpful at all... especially kid mocking me that was great, good luck with your porsche... you guys should be guidance counselors... I never said i couldnt afford it i just thought 325 sounded expensive and i was asking if anyone knew where i could get it done CHEAP it doesnt have to be NHRA approved the heads are gonna be used for a short time on a mild engine and then discarded why would i pay a bunch of money to have heads machined and assembled when i can buy a aftermarket set that flows better for 400 more then the price of the heads and the machine work??? :moon: to you guys :wink:

Flippindabird 07-27-2010 10:21 AM

85 your in Vernon thats kinda near me, you dont know of any machine shops?

WildBillyT 07-27-2010 12:34 PM

Call a few in your area and find out what the average price is for what you are asking. Then you can gauge what's expensive and what's cheap.

91chevywt 07-27-2010 02:40 PM

325 isn't really that expensive for the work you're getting. I got a set done a little cheaper but that's about what you would pay to get a set refurbished. Get some phone numbers from google for your area and call around. Machine work isn't something you should really cheap out on anyway. Your not only paying for a specific job, but you pay to get things done in a timely manner and with good quality.

Flippindabird 07-27-2010 08:31 PM

yeah i called a few 325 was the cheapest but i wasnt sure as i havent had machine work done in about 5 years and i moved up here since then and EVERYTHING is more expensive here then south jersey where i used to live

The_Bishop 07-27-2010 09:21 PM

$325 is a good price for a basic head reconditioning. Be prepared for the price to change depending on what the shop finds when they take the heads apart.

Used to work in a Speed/Machine shop. Had a few signs up, and one of them is appropriate to all machine work:

"You can have it good, won't be cheap. You can have it cheap, but it won't be good."

1QWIKBIRD 07-28-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Bishop (Post 718922)

Used to work in a Speed/Machine shop. Had a few signs up, and one of them is appropriate to all machine work:

"You can have it good, won't be cheap. You can have it cheap, but it won't be good."

That's good. My buddy has something similar in his shop.

Pick 2 of the 3:

Fast
Cheap
Good

Fast and Cheap won't be good
Fast and Good won't be cheap
Good and Cheap won't be fast

Flippindabird 07-28-2010 09:29 AM

id pick good and cheap for now cause the heads flow good enough stock for what im gonna do i really just want new springs and seals but those sayings are pretty cool

LTb1ow 07-28-2010 10:21 AM

Why not just leave it as it, throw a 100 shot at it, and run 13s.

As sad as that sounds... :lol:

TaKid455 07-28-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flippindabird (Post 718742)
wow, that wasnt helpful at all... especially kid mocking me that was great, good luck with your porsche... you guys should be guidance counselors... I never said i couldnt afford it i just thought 325 sounded expensive.....

Yes you did

"...i NEED it to be cheaper i just cant afford that much for machine work..."

SO :moon: back at ya.

In the past few years, prices on most things have gone up a decent amount. I get sticker shocked at times when I think something still cost yesterday's price.

Flippindabird 07-30-2010 11:22 AM

meaning i cant afford to spend it on the work not i cant afford it at all i just dont want to use the money for that...

Flippindabird 07-30-2010 11:23 AM

well it wouldnt make sense to run n2o when it already has no traction

Firebird92 07-31-2010 05:16 AM

im sorry, cheap and machine shop in the same sentence means a trail of oil and a rod kissing the ground

Flippindabird 07-31-2010 07:29 AM

i used to know a guy who was good and cheap actually worked for pat musi, but he has since past and i live 220 miles away now personal friend and did my work for cash on the side, i was hoping there was someone on the board that was like that... thanks anyway