NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Projects (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   73 Camaro "Black Pearl" (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62872)

PolarBear 03-16-2013 05:57 PM

73 Camaro "Black Pearl"

Oops, the front end fell off the car!
http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...316_141517.jpg

//<86TA>\\ 03-16-2013 06:26 PM

Hey look, a legit ac delete panel, no more ductape!:-)

PolarBear 03-16-2013 06:29 PM

Where have you been? I put that on last year, lol

chrisfrom nj 03-16-2013 06:35 PM

looks great when are you going to finish it

PolarBear 03-16-2013 06:48 PM

I have quite a bit to do. I have the front suspension to replace, entire wiring harness, new front "sheet metal"and a few other items if I get ambitious. Hope to have as much done as I can to try to make it to Cops N Rodders

Dudbird113 03-17-2013 01:26 AM

I wish i could pull my fenders off and work on my motor like u can

zraffz 03-17-2013 09:43 PM

Dude you have a 3rd gen or some el camino looking thing as a "parts car"! I wish I had one too :(

PolarBear 03-17-2013 09:51 PM

That's a 91 GTA, fire loss. Serves various purposes right now, holds my boxes, mockup car and helps me get up into the ceiling :)

WildBillyT 03-17-2013 10:09 PM

Is that still the same 454?

PolarBear 03-17-2013 10:19 PM

Yeah

WildBillyT 03-17-2013 10:24 PM

Valve covers look good on it

PolarBear 03-17-2013 10:38 PM

CarbonfiBear!

PolarBear 03-24-2013 09:57 PM

Looks like my oil consumption problems were not ALL valve guide problems. I am putting on another set of heads that I have because I thought that would solve my problem. I already have the "new" (to me) heads on the car and I was moving the intake manifold, I had it downside up and I noticed it leaking oil. the bottom of the one side of the dual plane had a bunch of clean oil in it. It was getting sucked in around #6 it looks like, possibly past the gasket but it is hard to tell now since I got my grubby hands on the intake and I cant tell on the head because I also had that downside up for a while. Two plugs are also really grody, #6 and one on the other side. I forget which. I think it is another that is on the same plane as 6 though.

WildBillyT 03-24-2013 11:40 PM

What?

PolarBear 03-25-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 875734)
What?

What do you mean what? The car has been blowing oil out the exhaust. Like a quart every 50 miles :shock: its only really bad when I would romp on it

chrisfrom nj 03-25-2013 12:10 PM

bad rings in the number 6 cyl

chrisfrom nj 03-25-2013 12:11 PM

use restore engine treatment and see what happens the ring will seal and you get better gas milage

PolarBear 03-25-2013 12:14 PM

No oil on the piston head and it wasn't burning it, compression on that cylinder was in line with the rest of them.

chrisfrom nj 03-25-2013 12:18 PM

ok did you figure out why it was burning oil

PolarBear 03-25-2013 12:32 PM

Its not burning it, it goes right out the tail pipe. One time I passed Scott and Billy and I sprayed their cars with oil. We assumed it was the valve seals. I changed them and it got better, but it was still pulling a lot when I would get on the throttle. We assumed it was the valve guides since the compression was pretty good on all the cylinders.

I am not really asking for advice here, just showing what I found when I pulled it apart. It was the one intake gasket leaking oil past. I suspect the manifold may be the culprit.

chrisfrom nj 03-25-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 875764)
Its not burning it, it goes right out the tail pipe. One time I passed Scott and Billy and I sprayed their cars with oil. We assumed it was the valve seals. I changed them and it got better, but it was still pulling a lot when I would get on the throttle. We assumed it was the valve guides since the compression was pretty good on all the cylinders.

I am not really asking for advice here, just showing what I found when I pulled it apart. It was the one intake gasket leaking oil past. I suspect the manifold may be the culprit.

intake manifold gasket will cause it to burn oil too did you check the intake if its warped to im glad you figured it out the car looks great,you literally smoked Scott and Billy

PolarBear 03-25-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfrom nj (Post 875775)
intake manifold gasket will cause it to burn oil too did you check the intake if its warped to im glad you figured it out the car looks great,you literally smoked Scott and Billy

My thought is that it may be warped. It is an original LS6 low rise manifold so I could get the big block under a flat hood. When I got it off ebay it looked pretty nice, all the threads were good in the ports and whatnot, but the water outlet flange was not flat and had a groove in it and leaked coolant. We used a file and got it flat and most of the groove out. Then I used the Fel-pro gasket with the molded o-ring on the gasket and these solved the coolant issue. Since it did have this problem I think the head flange may have an issue.

I only need this engine to last/work one more driving season, barring any financial issues :) , then it is coming out. Either my cousin is going to take the engine or it will go in my 69 C10 truck. If it goes in my truck it is going to get a different manifold.

WildBillyT 03-26-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 875746)
What do you mean what? The car has been blowing oil out the exhaust. Like a quart every 50 miles :shock: its only really bad when I would romp on it

I said what because I couldn't follow what you were trying to say.

In summation, your one intake gasket was leaking oil into the head and therefore through the whole deal? That would be great if it was a simple issue like that.

PolarBear 03-26-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildBillyT (Post 875906)
I said what because I couldn't follow what you were trying to say.

In summation, your one intake gasket was leaking oil into the head and therefore through the whole deal? That would be great if it was a simple issue like that.

Yes :-P I thought most people knew about the oil problems, thats why I thought it was strange you were asking. I didnt realize my word vomit was not understandable :rofl:

Both heads are on and tarqued now, just have to put the top end together. I am **thinking** about putting a cam in it since I am only one gasket away from doing that. I dropped a bolt down the dizzy hole, it was sitting on top of the oil drive, but the magnet was grabbing everything but the bolt on the way down and the bolt moved. Then I used the little flexible grabbing tool, but I missed and the bolt fell out of view. So now I have to drop the pan at the very least, the timing cover is only (two really) sets of gaskets away.

On the other hand, I only need one more driving season out of this engine before it gets yanked and then punted, so it seems money out the door if I were to get a cam and lifters..... and timing chain set...... and springs...... and....... and......

Love snow, hate the snowball effect :mrgreen:

BonzoHansen 03-26-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarBear (Post 875920)
...Both heads are on and tarqued now...

Is that high tark?