NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   West Central Jersey (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I want to learn to MIG weld... (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44254)

SteveO_87TA_NJ 05-24-2009 09:20 PM

I want to learn to MIG weld...

Anyone here (Jersey Shore preferred) have a gas MIG Welder that they can teach me to weld with? I'm not looking to make a living out of it, just wanted to do some floor and quarter repair work on my '80 Z28. I don't see me doing a lot of welding so I can't see spending over $400 for a decent set-up.

I can trade for graphic design or cleanup/yardwork around your place.

Your call.

Let me know.

Thanks.

SteveO

Formulalt1 05-24-2009 09:24 PM

I have a welder but even after a couple years of practice I suck. I pay a guy up the block from me 20 - 40 bucks a project (subframes, exhaust, steering linkage.)to do my welding after I attempt it and fail.

transmaro93 05-24-2009 10:20 PM

i dont have a welder... but i can teach you if you get access to one or buy one... mig welding is really easy.... once you learn to set the machine up right its easy as pie... its all in the preparation really....

HeadlessNorseman 05-24-2009 11:50 PM

ill tell you from experience learn to fab/prep. If you can do those right welding is a breeze, you can literally do it without looking if the pieces fit together and are nice and clean. Also, like any tools in my opinion, you get what you pay for.

SteveO_87TA_NJ 05-25-2009 02:44 PM

See...that's the thing, I won't be doing a lot of welding so I can't see putting out $400-500 to get a good one. I was hoping someone would have one that I could borrow and they could show me how to do it. I'll do the work and pay for the wire and gas...

Oh, well...I'll figure something out.

SteveO

transmaro93 05-25-2009 03:06 PM

im sure someone has one... i want to buy one but its just not in the funds right now... and i dont immediatly need it cause i can use the ones at work if need be..... good luck though

//<86TA>\\ 05-25-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by transmaro93 (Post 593257)
i dont have a welder... but i can teach you if you get access to one or buy one... mig welding is really easy.... once you learn to set the machine up right its easy as pie... its all in the preparation really....

right on the money.

the prep of the surface(s) you are working on will determine what the finished product looks like. Even a slightly oily surface will cause bad weld.

PolarBear 05-26-2009 10:28 PM

Ehh welding sheet metal is easy and hard at the same time, basically you are just stringing a bunch of tack welds together so you dont heat the metal too much and warp it. And you dont want to blow holes in it at the same time, depending on how thin this can make a difference

SteveO_87TA_NJ 05-27-2009 06:58 PM

Well, Industrial Welding Supply in Lakewood rents Lincoln MIG welders. I think I might rent one for the day and just practice with it. If I feel like I'm getting the hang of it I'll just keep going.

I just really wish I had someone with me that did it before...so if I had any questions...

Oh, well...

SteveO

//<86TA>\\ 05-27-2009 07:40 PM

if you do rent a machine, just get some metals of different thicknesses and play around with the welder. You wont be an expert right away, so dont get discouraged, you should be able to see whats happening to the materials at the different machine settings, ie no penetration, good penetration, slicing holes over-penetration. Give it some time and you will begin to figure it out.

TackleDummy 06-21-2009 10:28 AM

How much are they charging you to rent one?

edit: Sorry, got distracted and didn't realize the post was almost a month old.

transmaro93 06-21-2009 06:16 PM

what kind of projects are you looking to do.... if you rent one and im free i can take a ride down and help ya for a few hours.... why dont you ever come to the jersey shore meets...?

SteveO_87TA_NJ 06-21-2009 09:47 PM

Cause my car isn't driveable...

transmaro93 06-21-2009 09:58 PM

do you have a drivable car... just because ur fbod isnt running you can still go...