NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine / Power / Tuning (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   building a homebrew intake...inspection worries? (http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11170)

1337jeeper 06-11-2005 01:00 AM

building a homebrew intake...inspection worries?

ok, i'm building a ghetto fabulous intake for my jeep using rubber couplers and PVC piping. however...i'm worried about what the folks at the inspection place will think of it. obviously it wont have a CARB sticker on it, etc, so should i worry?

I spoke with Alex (TransAm4life), and he said since my jeep is an '02 (obviously OBDII), they wont even do so much as open the hood, provided i dont throw any codes- which i wont.

lastly...what should i do regarding bends needed in the intake tube? i know they sell 90 degree bends, but that's the problem with them- they're 90 degrees, which hurts flow.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

skorpion317 06-11-2005 01:09 AM

do what you need to do to make it fit. try to minimize the bends though.

as for the inspection people, most of them don't know their head from their own ass. however, bright white PVC piping would probably set off a lightbulb in their dim little brains. Spray paint that sumbitch black, with high-temp paint. that should keep them from noticing anything.

Savage_Messiah 06-11-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Spray paint that sumbitch black, with high-temp paint. that should keep them from noticing anything.

Maybe THAT's why the kid at your school spraypainted his car... :lol:

I don't think they will care tho... and about carb stickers, do we need to have those?? I thought that was just a california thing

bokey 06-12-2005 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorpion317
do what you need to do to make it fit. try to minimize the bends though.

as for the inspection people, most of them don't know their head from their own ass. however, bright white PVC piping would probably set off a lightbulb in their dim little brains. Spray paint that sumbitch black, with high-temp paint. that should keep them from noticing anything.

:stupid:
I wouldn't worry about it... I just went though inspection, and they seemed to care about everything else but the motor... I had to stand there for five minutes and watch them whip out their ruler to measure my cowl and steering wheel (which I just made the limit :lol:). IMO, I would use dryer ducting instead of PVC pipes. Instead of bothering with buying all the little connections you need you can just buy a 3 ft long piece and cut off what you don't need. More importantly, if you need bend you can get a nice "gentle" bend instead of a 90* turn. Let us know how things turn out...

enRo 06-12-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokey
IMO, I would use dryer ducting instead of PVC pipes. Instead of bothering with buying all the little connections you need you can just buy a 3 ft long piece and cut off what you don't need. More importantly, if you need bend you can get a nice "gentle" bend instead of a 90* turn. Let us know how things turn out...

:stupid:
But be careful with it, cuz it can be easily broken while handling it. I plan on rigging something up in my 86 with dryer ducting.

Oddball 06-13-2005 07:10 PM

I have never had a NJ Inspection open my hood. I wouldn't worry about it.

Teds89IROC 06-14-2005 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I have never had a NJ Inspection open my hood. I wouldn't worry about it.

Same here. One time a guy set my car up on the emissions dyno with my FRONT wheels on the rollers :roll: I was about to tell him it's RWD, but another worker informed his dumbass. It was pretty funny, it was an older guy that told him..he said "it's a friggin camaro!" and had the look like..."you retard" :lol: I'm sure you'll have no problem, most of them are just there to make money and couldn't care less.

~Ted

LT!freak94 06-14-2005 08:37 PM

i want some pics when you done the intake

BlueFBird 06-17-2005 12:53 AM

what size cowl do they allow?

bokey 06-17-2005 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFBird
what size cowl do they allow?

3'' is the legal limit, oh and 13.5'' is the legal limit for the steering wheel.