Thread: Painting A Car
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Teds89IROC

I agree with Alex, to do it the right way by yourself you'll need the gun. air compressor, paint cups, mixers, laquer thinner. Not only that, if you paint the car outside or just in a garage you're gonna get dust and dirt in the paint and you will have to bust your balls wet sanding and compounding the car after it's done. You really need access to a spray booth. Save yourself the hassle and let Maaco do it. I've heard the reason some Maaco jobs come out bad is because they don't prep the cars all too well. What you could do is prep the car yourself, the panels that don't need body work and have no dents (unless you aren't worrying about dents and what not, then this applies for the whole car) you're going to have to scuff. All the shops use this grey solution called "scuff stuff". Get yourself a tub of that and some grey scuff pads. So this way, the car just needs to be taped up and it's ready for paint when you bring it to the shop. Go to Gavins and they'll point you in the right direction. If you have any questions, just ask..I work in a body shop, so I can give you advice and help if you need it.

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote