View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
CALL911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
I think the bigger jet runways are over 8000 ft long. They are for commercial / international airports. I used to do touch-n-go's in Ft Lauderdale flying a Cessna 152. It was like landing a paper airplane on a long driveway - pavement as far as the eye can see.

I'm also skeptical about allowing any sizable number of civilians on an Air Base, unless they were immediate familyu cheering on the AFB guys doing the driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I would think AF base concerns maybe

EMT- ambulance on site
Tow Truck
Clean Up- in case oil down of runway and who will pay for all the above.

Release waivers saying the AF base is not liable for any injuries or damages to those running and watching.
McGuire has two runways. The main one will probably be the one being used for this event, and it is 10,000 ft. As stated before, it hasn't been stated yet wheather it will be for military personell only, or if it will be open to the public. McGuire has opened several other events to the public, and I fail to see why this event would be any different, but it is theirs to say wheather they will open it to civilians or not. (more to come obviously)

The only way this event would go down, is if everyone signed their life and their car away with the waiver's. This isn't anything different than when you sign a form to go race at Atco or any other dragstrip though. I'm sure the paramedics and fire dept. on base will have to be there as well.

This drag racing event on McGuire's runway has actually happened in the past. Granted it has been more than a few years ago, but none the less it has actually happened before. Just something to keep in mind.

BTW, Jersey T/A, if you or anyone else has seen drag or street cars vs fighter jets taking off, you should know just about any sports car would slaughter a jet in the 1/4 mile. Now taking into consideration that the KC-10's minimum takeoff weight is almost 400,000 lbs compared to the much higher powered to weight ratio fighter, and.... you get the idea

95 Z28 M6, 383, D1SC, FMIC, ect., ect., 614 RWHP with the stock PCM and pump gas!

98 Formula WS6 M6
CALL911 is offline   Reply With Quote