View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Wayne,

I did it the way "CamaroDave" (remember him?) recommended. Actually, I think I left some of this stuff on the '78 when I sold it to you. Admittedly that was a bit of a hack install LOL. I did it again (much cleaner) on my bro's Chevelle and it works great (feeds 600+ HP).

You will need:

Fuel Pump
For a 3/8 fuel line: AN-6 hose ends (you may need a full flow elbow or two), AN-6 hose, 3/8 NPT adaptors and 3/8 tube adaptors
10ga wire
30A relay
Fuseable link
Toggle switch
Canister style fuel filter (I used a FRAM HPG-1)
Regulator if required

Here is a rough guide of what I did/do, adjusted for your battery placement:

Position filter and pump below the fuel tank if possible so they are gravity fed. Attach them to a solid part on the car using whatever bracketry you need. You can make isolators out of rubber sheeting or old bicycle tires to put between the brackets and car body to kill some of the noise.

Plumbing:
Attach a 3/8" tube adaptor to the tubing coming out of your fuel tank and make up an AN line that reaches to the fuel filter. Install the 3/8 NPT adaptors into the fuel filter and attach the line to it. Then make up another line that reaches the fuel pump. Install the 3/8 NPT adaptors into that and attach the new line. Then find the spot where you want to tie into the existing 3/8" fuel line, cut it and attach a 3/8" adaptor. Make up and install the final AN line to connect the fuel pump output to the existing 3/8 fuel line.

At this point I made sure that there were no fuel spills and I tested the fuel pump with a battery charger.

Electrical
The way I make my electric connections is to slip a piece of heat shrink over one of the two leads, then barrel knot them together, then solder, then install the heat shrink, and finally cover it with electrical tape.

Make a new lead that will reach between the pump and frame rail and ground the pump to an unpainted part of the frame rail using a star washer. Then mount the relay on the frame rail and begin to wire it up. Start by making a ground lead like you did for the pump, then make a hot lead that goes to the battery, power lead that goes to the pump, and a switched lead that goes into the interior of the car where you want the switch mounted. You can follow the diagram that comes with your relay to figure out what goes where, or look online- the diagrams are all over the place. Once all of the relay connections are made you can mount your switch and attach the lead coming from the relay to it. Your final connection will be from the ignition hot to the switch, with the fusable link installed to protect the switch.

Once all these connections are made you can throw the switch and go.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote