View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #73
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba428 View Post
thats from page 3. that cam is a custom grind that can be orderer through comp over the phone, and that Intake is a run of the mill dual plane. thats for you steve, and as far as the short block.4K Found T&Ls site from the article. http://www.tandlengines.com/chevy_sm...nchor-38-52725

And NJSPEEDER, I plan on taking a VERY long hard look into every part. I'm definitely not just gonna slap it together and hope. I want to run 11:1 compression so I need to figure out what pistons to use. I really like the fact that they're motor made 500hp in a reasonable RPM range. although I'm going to use the SBC beehive springs for it to boost up my RPM range before float. But I'll say it again I'M NOT STARTING ANYTHING UNTILL NEXT WINTER!!!

Maybe I am sounding too harsh. If so I am sorry. All I am really trying to impart to you is that 500hp 383's are everywhere and I think they are on sale at Wal-Mart right now. 600hp 383's are much tougher to find, espicially NA and on pump gas. I realize its only another 100 hp, but the horsepower to money relationship is exponential. As you continue on your quest you will undoubtedly uncover the numerous hidden costs on such a motor. There can be no second rate parts. I doubt you will find beehive valve springs, dual plane air gap intakes, flat tappet cams (hyd. or mech.) or the like in the final recipe.

I would expect to see a forged bottom end inside a studded 4-bolt block with a good set of aftermarket rods, top notch machine work, a full roller valvetrain (likely to be solid roller) double springs with Ti retainers, possibly an entry level shaft mount rocker setup, heads that flow 300 cfm with single plane intake to match. I wouldn't dare guess as to the cam specs??? Holley HP series carb 850cfm(max power??) 750cfm (better street manners???), MSD lighting the fire. 1-7/8ths primary headers to a 3-1/2 collector for starters??? Lots of attention paid to the combustion chamber size, piston type, quench area to control detonation. That's my guess.

I look forward to next winter and the completion of your project, because when you get this beast together I'd be very interested in the final results. If you can pull this off without breaking the bank I think you'd have a lot of people's attention, including mine.

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)