Thread: Throttle body
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

How they work, think if an engine as a big pump, it pulls in air/fuel, ignites it, then pushes out the waste. The engine having to pull in the air and push out the exhaust takes away power that would otherwise be applied to moving the car. The more air you can more easily feed the engine, or restrictions you remove (intake track or exhaust) , the more of the power made can then be applied towards the wheels. A TB or runners help get more air into the engine, likewise headers, free flow exhaust reduce the effort to push the exhaust out. Use the old example of trying to run while breathing thru a straw, you can't run very well because you can't get enough air in or out. use a bigger the straw, you can get more air in/out. Engines work the same way.

But there is also a limit, bigger is better and too big can actually be a bad thing. Part of the process is volocity on the intake, and back pressure on the exhaust. The volicity helps keep the air flowing into the engine or scavange the cyclinders on the exhaust time. So too big actually can hurt the engines ability to make power.

Unless you have the mods = Heads/Cam/headers etc. then putting on a 58mm TB is more likely to hurt your performance. The Computer meassure the air in the intake and adjust fuel timing accordingly, also the volocity of the air moving into the intake plays a part in how the engine runs. a 58Mm Tb is really for a engine making in the 400+HP range.

That being said, on a stock internal engine a 52mm will give you a bit more power, a 58mm can actually cost you power.

Just so you know what to expect, the TB and runners will only add a slight amount of power as you are still restricted by you cam and the airflow of your heads. Don't expect a big jump in power. But those mods pay off if you do internal mods later, where the stock TB and runners would then be the restriction.

Dang TPI Monte! You beat me on my responce. I guess I took to long typing!
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote