View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

I was there, but fighting traction all day. The Kuhmo's don't like the cold. I wasn't expection miracles, but holy hockey pucks. It was brutal. I didn't stay for 2nd set of runs in the late afternoon, thinking it was only going to get colder. Luckily I worked first thing, then raced 2nd so my work requirement was filled early.

Anyway, with ambient air temps in the low 40's and winds howling at 15mph or so, ice in the lot (not in the racing line, but in the same lot) and traction no where to be found, I made my first run and spun the wheels hard on take off (drag strip style launch probably wasn't the best idea under the conditions) and for the first 200 feet felt like I was on ice. Once I got the car rolling not too bad, but still was pushing from lack of grip up front and could have brought the @ss around at will if I wanted to. All of these actions led to a 54.something.

Second run, backed off on the launch and came out easy, but still got squirley at the first set of gates when I tried to bring the power on. Again, once I got rolling things improved and ran a 52.something.

Third run, I thought I backed off even more but then turned the gas pedal into a light switch and promptly spun the thing just past the second set of gates, stayed on course , but looped it. The looooong slow variety. Result, 59.something.

Fourth run, by now I am completely unsure how to get off the line and make it throught the first couple hundred feet, so slow and smooth led to a 53.something.

I talked with Echomirage real quick and he seemed to be having similiar issues, no traction at all.

All in all, given the condtions a decent day. I have much to learn on shock tuning, air pressure adj. etc. etc. etc. Left with a smile though and tires didn't rub anywhere so all is good.

See ya Sunday, hopefull conditions will be more favorable. I honestly think I could have done better on street tires or on my old set of RA-1's. The kuhmo's just didn't get hot enough to off the grip they are capable of.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote