View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
87Fbird

I got myself an 87 Firebird at the end of December 07. It's in my garage now and it's been there ever since i got it.
I still have the stock 305 in it. I got rid of all the emissions stuff and installed a set of shorty headers, lower temp thermostat, egr block off plate and pulled the ac off the motor. All the stuff under the dash came out except the guages and all the seats are gone. I got a rigid plastic racing seat, B&M ratchet shifter. I replaced the T5 and rebuilt a turbo 350 that just went in this weekend. Alot of modifications were required but things are working with some patience and help from my brother and friends. One friend hooked me up with a set of American racing rims and ET street radials. I have more work to button up the trans swap and it'll be driveable. My next plan is a set of 4.11 gears for the rear. After all the wrenching is done i'll paint it.
This set up is just for this summer. It's strictly a track car, not street legal. I'm keeping the stock 305 and minor mods so i can get to know the car and the track, i'm a rookie racer.
My big plans are already in the works and i have a few options. My brother has a 12 second 350 in his 70 Cutlass that i can have for my car. Or my buddy has a bare 400 block that i can build from scratch and make some nasty horsepower. I'm leaning more towards the 400 sbc to put a stroker crank, aluminum heads and all the goodies. I have a turbo 400 to go behind it and i'm looking for a 9" rear. After this summer i'll find out how fast i want to go and take it from there.
I always wanted a project car and the Firebird caught my eye. It was sitting in the weeds next to this guys garage with a grey hood, blue junk yard door, after market fender and the rest of the car is the original white. I got it for $400.