View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
A machine shop can set you up for splayed caps. JohnJZ and/or Josh will kick their $0.18 in here soon, I'm sure.

2-bolts can handle a lot of hp - is 550-600 really what you are planning? I might thinki you are beginning to lean into aftermarket block territory at 600+. But I'm no expert. I just try to listen to them.
thanks bonzo and your correct = today with the cost of a new casting and the kind of HP you want, a late 2 bolt one piece seal block is not the way i would do it, the first thing if its what you are going to use, is to do is have it sonic tested and that will tell how thick it is in the areas needed for such power, Line honing in my opinion is a last resort to a block that has passed all checks and has much invested in it like alloy rod clearencing, tapped vent valley holes with 3 inch standoffs, epoxy magnets with a screen kits installed ect ect kind of thing -- now splaying can be done on a bridgeport using a blank cap from another motor, and shoot the holes on angle 3/8 X 16 -X 2 1/4 G9 12 point socket head screws, is what we have used and yes the crank is then held in place better BUT it ALSO saves having to have a high end timing chain with a .005 smaller chain on the cam to make up the difference the line honing takes away -- good luck with that -- jz

Last edited by johnjzjz; 04-29-2008 at 09:21 PM.
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote