View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

Oil psi drops to 5 psi under hard braking - help

This weekend I drove about 200-250 miles completely problem free.

Last night I hit the brakes hard and noticed the oil psi guage drop very suddenly down to about 5 psi and the "check guages" light came on. I let off the brake and tapped the gas and the guage went back up to just under 40 psi.

This has never occured before. Car ran completely fine.

I drove a bit more, hit the brakes to test it again and oil psi guae dropped again. This time I hit the gas pedal before it had a chance to go so low. At idle oil psi sits at around 40 psi.

I drove to work and home problem free. While the engine was cold I was seeing about 45 psi - once warm just a bit under 40.

When I give it gas it goes up to 50-55 psi

I went out to test it again and same thing, hard braking and the psi drops.

Hard acceleration - psi does not drop.
Hard left turn - psi does not drop.
Hard right turn - psi does not drop.
Hard braking - psi drops????

I have a 96 Trans Am A4 w/ 113XXX miles
Basic mods - full exhaust, intake, a tune, ignition, mildly ported heads, 1.6 roller rockers, etc.

It's my daily driver. I don't beat the hell out of the car - just a nice daily driver to cruise in. It rarely sees over 4,000 rpm's. It has seen the track maybe 3-4 times for maybe a max of 12 runs?? I've had it for 1.5 years and oil psi has always been fine.

The original owner always ran royal purple oil - I have continued that.

Any idea what is going on? I find it really odd that oil psi would suddenly drop to 5 psi under hard braking?!?!!

Thank you for any help!