View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #41
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
Do you me an F-body at the SM limit? Or something along the lines of what Mark Daddio built? I don't know if the F-body could get light enough to be competative on a national level. Power wouldn't be the issue, controlling it would be.

I posed a question on ffrax and LS1tech looking for pics of a full on CP 4th Gen and some of the discussion mentioned that a well sorted/driven ESP car could trophy in CP, but wouldn't be able to crack into the top 5. No mention of how a 4th gen if prepped would do in SM. I think the AWD cars just have too much advantage in that class. Especially when someone like Mark Daddio shows up in a purpose built machine that is well thought, thoroughly tested and driven by a national level driver. It'd be interesting, I rather take my shot at CP, though...more user friendly.

Someone buy my Firebird so I can buy a roller and go all out and not cut up what is still a pretty nice car......
Mark is an example of what an amazing driver can do. The first full season that Philly Region ran SM, Mark showed up with his old Neon ACR to sort out his new shock package for stock. He entered SM and ran times that would have won the class had he not run it as non-comp. He was racing against some fully sorted out, nationally competitive cars with very good drivers, and he just mad us all look ssssoooooo bad.

Just never talk to Mark about a line or try to get a driving lesson from him. His mind doesn't work like everyone else's. He talks about a foot or a few inches like that is something the average person can distinguish when exiting a slalom into a Chicago box at 50mph. lol

My idea of a fully prepped SM f-body involves a 3rd gen. It is just a lighter starting point with better update/backdate weight reduction options. Drop in an nicely built LS1 backed by a clutch-glide transmission. Keep the 10bolt in the back and through in some 4.33 gears and c-clip eliminators(yes, they are available). Sam Strano proved with one of his IROC's years ago that you can actually fit 315's all the way around on a 3rd gen

Of course, that is a big money build that is currently a winning lottery ticket away.

-Tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote