View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
thats crap. you gotta pay to play. are you saying that i own more diagnostic software in the trunk of my car than the avg local small shop? if so then those shops need to get on the ball.
hahaha yeah that is the only expense a shop needs to cover too. places are just full of money looking to throw it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
from when i was in the private repair industry, i remember occasionally dealing with some software issues, mainly regarding higher end and imported cars, ie BMWs and some lexus/toyotas. yes you can buy the software in most cases, but iirc, there were a few cases where the software hadnt been released yet or there just wasnt a version for that operating system. in those cases, we had to turn work away to the dealer. and with the more and more complex computer systems, the amount of software needed increases every year. yes you can scan and read codes, but theres other stuff as well.
it does happen and if you actually did fix it and charged the customer for all the actual time it took for you to go through, learn about, and painstakingly fix the problem, well you just wouldn't have a happy customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
While we have the info as to what needs to be done, on some cars I cannot reset maint lights on a lot of newwer cars. We do have a service that tells us how to reset 96% of the lights, but some require certain tools...meh.
what cars? most of them are super easy. its the older bmws, mercedes, and vws that sometimes require you to use a special tool. i hate the crazy ones in volvos and mercedes where you have to do several different things in so many seconds. give me 1 button to hold or gms gas pedal 3 times in 5 seconds thing. damn engineers.