View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #65
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Actually 87 was the first year that the RS name was brought back. There were only 600 or so cars made that year as a RS and were only allowed to be ordered in Cali.

FWIW the RPO code for the IROC's 88-90 was Z28 not B4Z... Hrmm

88 was just a "Camaro" as the base model. Also that year the LO3 became the standard engine in the camaro's. Yes even the IROC's.

89 the RS became the base model...
don't forget that the LT was still available in '87.

btw, you made me pull out my books. 2.8 V6 available in sport coupe and LT models. while the 5-speed manual was the "standard" transmission, it was automatically upgraded to the 4-speed auto when the V8 was put in the car. something about the rear not being able to handle the torque from the 350/5speed combo or some other such non-sense.

so in '87 there were 4 models, the sport coupe, LT, Z-28 and IROC Z, plus the California only RS model. i only ordered the factory assembly manuals for the '69 and '87, since at that time i was only interested in those years. i really could have used a '91-'92, since that is what the '87 car will look like in the end. i was hoping to pull it off so that the VIN would be the only way to tell it wasn't a '91-'92, but without the manual i might not hit all of the exterior points that need to be addressed.

factory assembly manuals were available free from MSX International, ATTN: GM Chevy Resto, 1426 Pacific Dr., Auburn Hills, MI 48326, but i don't know if the company is still sending them out for free or not.

if jeff is the go-to-guy for first gens, Kat is the go-to-guy for third gens...

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote