View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
Mark42

Today I put in the poly torque arm bushhing by Energy Suspension. Although it is poly, the bushing is a softer compound than their sway bar or end link bushings.

And the bushing can be changed by just removing one nut, and grinding off one of the two rivets that hold the OE bushing in place. Once one rivet is ground off, the bushing can be rocked until the other side breaks free of the rivet on the other side.

The OE bushing is two pieces, and the piece left in the half of the bracket that comes off can have the rivets drilled or ground off in a vice.

Then the new bushing is slid onto the torque arm, and its bolted back together. Tight fit, but it can be done with just a 15 mm socket and open end wrench.

I was surprised that the one piece bushing makes the ride a little tighter. It looks like the two piece had spread apart and was allowing some movement, but not much.

So the moment of truth. Came to a dead stop, and hit the gas, and..... wheel hop. Not as bad as before, but its still there. If I apply the break, and bring the rpm up to about 1500, then release, there is no wheel hop. So preloading the suspension prevents wheel hop. Bet the problem is the LCA bushings.

So, next change is LCA bushings.

Oh well, I'll get this nailed down soon. At least the parts I installed were not real expensive.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote