View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
V
Stalker

Lets go over the basics of supercharging...

OK, I want to try to learn and understand how one would go about supercharging just about any type of vehicle without the ability to purchase a complete kit with instructions and so forth. I think the easiest way for me to learn is for me to state what ive heard/seen and what I think about certain things i know or think...

Step one... Mounting the headunit...
Ok i assume You just get a mounting bracket that is compatible with your type of engine and the accessory drive setup, and allows clearance around the unit itself. IS there a recommended about of clearance? max suggest belt length, too short? etc.

Step two.. pulleys
for the headunit, i understand smaller pulley, turns faster, more boost. But for the crank pulley, is like a ATI balancer required, just recommended? what about pinning the crank? even with max say 7psi? And ive seen a solid tensioner that is adjustable is better than a self tensioning one, correct?

step 3... piping
that seems straight forward, run from filter to headunit to intercooler to throttle body.

step 4... oiling
i know prochargers are self contained but like a vortech isnt, where can you connect into to get an oil feed? what about the drain? do u always have to drill and tap the oil pan? Is it possible to make a stand alone supercharger oiling system using say a rear diff fluid recirculation pump and a small cooler?

step 5... sensors
i know a suitable MAP sensor would be required, do cars have a good enough one stock or need and upgrade, if so, to what one? Is usually a stock MAF sensor ok to keep or better going to a speed density tune and eliminating it? What about a blowoff valve, does one need one and where does it connect, before IC or after?

step 6... fuel
Larger injectors are a must i know, but is the fuel pump also always a must to swap out or can a stock version work? maybe with just a hotwire kit?

step 7... tuning
thats a given, a good and proper tune for the setup is important.

Ok, thats about what i know so far... Am i right on most, Anything i seem to be clueless on? Am I missing anything else?

Last edited by V; 05-16-2010 at 11:46 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote