View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
The moog standard replacement bushings (about $27 a pair at Advance Auto) are solid high durometer (sp?) rubber busing. Standard relacement for the 1LE. They do not make the "soft" bushing to replace what is in most firebirds/camaros.

The bushings in my car had 40K miles, and were far from worn out. No dry rot or anything. They are just too compliant with the air gap. Being so soft, they let the axle move around a lot.

The moog bushings are what is recomended for a street-car. Probably the best choice for most members that want to upgrade from the soft bushing, and don't regularly drag race their cars.

I have read over and over again where the stock lower control arms are strong enough to handle the stock v8's in f-bodies. The after market LCA's are fine if you have a modded engine, but right now, my car shows no need of a modified LCA.

See MOOG part number K6178.

You beat the piss out of your car and you see no need to upgrade the control arms? I dont get it. You spend the 54.00 now to upgrade the bushings to be a little better then stock when you could have bought a set of LCA's for 46.00 brand new or find them on LS1 tech for 50-100 used and make your rear suspension alot better! Why half ass something?

Just because you dont have a LS1 doesnt mean your car doesnt make a good amount of tq! My 98 V6 on the stock motor with headers, flowmaster, and lid made 215rwtq! That means its making around 250ish tq at the motor!! Not to shabby!

What are you planning on doing to your car? Its not that hard to make your car perform better! More air, more fuel and a tune and you have more power! Better suspension mods and your car will handle the power better! Thats it! Hell most of the mods you do to a stock motor will net you better gas miles then the car came with. Oil coolers are a good idea when you start to make alot more power but like you said your car isnt a V8 so there is no need for aftermarket LCA's! If this is the case then why need a tranny cooler and duel oil filter system?
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 05-23-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote