Thread: "New" Toy
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
edpontiac91

WOW, this was was first brand new car. I think it listed for around $2,500. Mine was a Hondurous Maroon coupe. I have a color picture of it in my garage.
They were hot stuff and after the 1963 Olds F-85 Turbo, this was the only other TURBO powered U.S. made car. That carb is a Carter single barrel side draft and was only used on the '53-'54 Corvettes with the 6 cylinder motors. That motor was also beefed up quite a bit at the factory with special valves/ crankshaft and pistons. For about $150.00, this option was a bargain.
I used to race mine around Route 22 in Union against the new Dodge Dart 273 V/8's and pull away in 2nd gear and bury the boost gauge.
There was a company led by John Fitch that made performance parts I had installed such a quick steering ratio/ positive camber kit for the rear wheels/ quick shift short throw/ a L.S. Lucas aircraft landing front headlamp and a wooden steering wheel. It was called the Sprint package. There was also a company called Bill Thomas that built some special parts for these cars, especially for keeping the belt from flying off the engine!
If you take the time to restore this to original condition, you will have a very rare car and something that could be worth quite a bit of money. There are still quite a few Corvair Clubs around and I would contact them about getting production numbers and where to purchase parts. Get an original 1963 Corvair brochure on eBay and read up on the specs. LOL and PM me if you need any assistance about these models.

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph

Last edited by edpontiac91; 07-15-2011 at 10:17 AM.
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote