View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
L695speed

Intake and Carb combo advice

Alright guys, except for struts, the daily driver is squared away. Now to get the Trans Am up and running. Funding aside...I'm leaning towards just dropping in a Vortec 350, run and enjoy the car while I accumulate parts for the stroker build. This way I can sort out the chassis and trans and the rest of the wiring. When the time comes to pull to build the stroker, all I'll have to do is theoretically plug and play.

I'll get a distributor online off Ebay, there is one being sold for round 60 bucks that has been used with quite a bit of success. HEI naturally. But since I'm not running a computer and will be running a carb; I will need to swap the intake and the fuel delivery to a carb setup. The question is with the 383 build in mind, what would be the best carb/intake combination to run so I can just swap it over to the 383 with just a slight mixture adjustment.

I'm thinking electric choke is best off. I'm not drilling holes to run a cable. I was leaning towards the RPM Performer intake mainfold and a 750 carb. While 750 might be overkill for the 350 it should be perfect on the 383. So one carb and done. Question is what carb would be best? I saw Elderbrock had suggstions for the RPM Performer Intake and matched it to a #1411 electric choke carb. I am also looking at Holleys but am unsure what may be the best one.

Finally, could I run a stock LT1 clutch behind a Vortec with the above changes til I built the 400+ horse monster 383? Or will I destroy the clutch in spirited driving? If I can nail down this stuff, and get my hands on a Vortec, another F body may be on the road by the end of the summer if a few things go my way.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote