Thread: The 1988 GTA
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320B4U View Post
Post some pics you crazy kid.....2 3rd gens is 3 too many...or something like that.
So says the guy who has two third gens lol.

Better Dave? lol. The 84 is in the garage behind it.

Matt, I thought of getting it punched out, but when I talked to the machinist he said the block was so good (Just full of crap from the bearings) that there was really no need for machine work. Besides talking to a couple of friends who hang around at the strip, they say had you run the car and it was running good, you probably would have run a mid 13 with the gears and stall. And the rule of thumb with adding power is you'd have to upgrade everything behind it, I didn't want to turn this into a bigger project than I had to. Besides you had several vacuum leaks as well due to rotting gaskets in the throttle body and rotting vacuum hoses. So there may have been some performance left on the table.

As Greenformula92 said, the LT1 cam isn't that much different than the L98 so I should be alright there. I've heard rumors of 35 horses in that cam swap...yeah right with other work maybe but I know I will get something out of it. I didn't want to go too crazy with this one. The 84 is the wild child. Only thing I may do is paint the motor Poncho Blue.....

Last edited by L695speed; 07-11-2012 at 11:23 AM.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote