View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86blackbetty View Post
from my understanding 1982-1988 where iron calipers...and 1989-1992 where aluminum....they are still trash..though i heard the 82-88 were much worse..i had drums in the rear prior to the swap.... my rear end now is off a 89 posi borg warner 3.45 .

The Centric rebuild kit is to rebuild the caliper??? Can i just buy an aftermarket one? I thought autozone was trash lol.....thats why i went to Advance
I believe the 9 bolt setup you have came with aluminum PBR calipers, with the parking brake assembly built in to them, like the one the LT guys have. The problem with 3rd gen rear setups is that they had a recall and redesign of the proportioning valve for the 82-88 design after they found out they were doing little to almost no braking whatsoever in the rear! There is a site where someone goes over upgrading the brake system, and needing to pick up a 90 or 91-92 prop valve to make it work right.

Since you had drums in the rear, you most likely need a disc brake rear designed master cylinder as well since it may have been designed for the drum setup and not disc. If the master cylinder isn't pulling the piston back in the caliper, it's probably because it was setup to pull the pistons in the wheel cylinder, and also doesn't require as much pressure to push wheel cylinder pistons, as it does to push caliper pistons. So take a look at a 90-92 Disc master cylinder, that should help, or at minimum, you've upgraded a 25+ year old part on your car. and what ever you do DON"T GET A REBUILT ONE!!. Calipers are okay to get rebuilt, but any other hydraulic part.....just don't.

Centric sells both just a rebuild kit AND rebuilt calipers. Unless your calipers were toast, I would just rebuild them, the kits are cheap. I just bought two rebuild kits for the 3000GT VR4 front calipers for 5 buck a pop off amazon. Do your homework first and make sure the Centric part numbers match what your purchasing. when you take the pistons out, look on the surface and see if there is black stuff, or any oxidation/rusting. Take a soft or mild scotch brite pad, clean them up. Make sure to use brake fluid as a lubricant.
As a veteran of Advance Auto, I can assure you their brakes are the ****tiest of ****. not a day went by where we had to defective exchange pads or rotors.

heres a couple sites to look at:

http://www.3rdgenformula.com/modification/brakes.htm

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/br...rformance.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 11-15-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote