Thread: 2014 Z28
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #130
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
close doesn't count on the track lol

"although they won't overheat and fade" - kind of important when you are running willow springs or gingerman for 30 minutes plus at a time.

ABC & TC makes a car like that much more drivable, do not downplay that. steilow indicated when he got the ABS dialed in on the red devil car his laps time improved - and that was after he custom designed his own floater rear setup so the ABS readings were good at high speeds. i guess it's freaky when ABS fails at 125+. and he is no slouch driver.

F1 uses all that fancy ABS & TC too, must be for some reason.

oh, and if we don't modify the new Z you need to make that old car pass emissions too.

the conversation is not close. it is equal or better for $75,000. and I say no.
Within a second of each other on the same track is close. Not talking 4 or 5 seconds here.

30 minutes is a short race. I have a chumpcar customer who runs between 7 and 24 hours straight on a 13" 4 piston 2pc rotor brake kit in his 3rd gen. As the car is about 3,000lbs it never overheats the brakes, even when running at a constant 99%.

A lot of performance cars use ABS and TC as a crutch for having parts way too powerful to be controlled by you brain, gut, and feet. As an example, those super powerful turbocharged AMG Mercedes need TC to be able to not spin the tires to Chicago - they have so much power that the tires could only wish to put it all to the ground, even at higher speeds. Another example is how you need ABS on the 2014 Z28 due to the amount of grip the composite brakes can give - way too much for the 305 width soft compound tires they stick on them.

Now if you ask me is the new Z28 going to be a more enjoyable, less taxing car to drive for a 45 minute session on VIR, I would absolutely say yes. Although there is a sense of accomplishment of sitting in a pool of sweat, not being able to carry yourself out of a car after a long track session in a violent, 100% attention required car.

F1 uses ABS and TC to keep those cars on the road and lap times fast & consistent. No one is capable of driving a car like that without those aids for more than a lap or two.