View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Tastefull Interior Modifications

Since this Spring weather refuses to co-operate and my car is stored outside, I have a number of on going projects that I'm working on from the comforts of my own home. I figured I could keep you guys posted on some of my mini projects.

I recently scored a good ebony leather interior out of a 2002 Formula (Huge thanks to V!) and the end game is to remove that fantastic 90's Light Grey trim that currently resides in the car. I was originally inspired for this interior build when I first saw the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG interior a few years ago, I thought it was the perfect balance of black, cloth, leather, silver trim and carbon fiber. Unfortunately I'm not filthy stinking rich and can't really afford real carbon fiber and had been hearing great things about 3M's Di-Noc Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap, so I picked up a few rolls to practice. I know its not for everyone, but I'm a fan and I think it can be implemented properly in our cars to add a little bit of a high end look!

C63 AMG Interior:

I started by cleaning and preparing all the interior surfaces with a quick wipe down using Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, using cotton balls and swabs to get the little nooks and crannies, and followed it by using a lint free rag to ensure the surface was clear of any grease & grime

Since the dash is already apart, I began by purchasing a set of Macewen silver over-lays for the Guages & HVAC controls, as well as a 6LE Guage Trim:

(Later on I'll separate the needles to wetland clear, and install blue LED's)

I started by removing the HVAC knobs:

The Headlight dimmer was stubborn, so I ended up disassembling the switches and cleaning the contacts:

Applying the decals was pretty straight forward:

I wasn't satisfied with the way the light grey knobs sat against the silver over-lay, so I purchased a can of Duplicator interior & vinyl spray, masked off the white indicator strip:

Finished product:

Now that the easy part of applying decals was over, it was onto tackling the 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl, I purchased a good heat gun from Harbor Freight, and started applying the decal, but I wasn't happy with my first attempt, it bunched up at the edges of the radio bezel, so I'm going to retry when I'm fresh. I have a sheet of ABS plastic in the mail, as I am completely removing the stereo system from the car.

I'll keep updating the thread as I move along. Hope you've enjoyed so far!

Last edited by ar0ck; 04-03-2015 at 05:05 PM.
ar0ck is offline   Reply With Quote