View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Sounds like every other track in the country. Running a race track, especially in New Jersey, is a terribly expensive operation and short of a few shining examples most owners don't end up making a lot. The result is that sometimes they have to make decisions that benefit the business more than the racers and promoters just to ensure there is a track to come back to next year.

I've known members of the Sway family for a long time and can tell you from personal experience that they are stand up people and wanted nothing more than to make that track a better place to race and spectate. That's why they went out on a limb with new events and poured so much money back into the facilities over the years. Think about all that has been done in the time the short time the Sways have owned Atco, new surface from the burnout box to the 100ft past the finish line, that same length diamond ground smooth, upgraded the safety wall the length of the track, all new bleachers and an entire new tower, upgraded timing equipment, new fencing the length of the spectator area, and even thousands spent fixing the ancient plumbing so that the bathroom can be used all season.

It may not be the mom and pop operation it was when I was a kid but I still enjoy it much more than the mayhem that is a trip to E-town or the long drive to Cecil or Maple grove.

-Tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote