View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
V
Stalker

1988 Trans Am GTA Notchback clone

I figured I might as well post this up finally...

A few weeks back I picked up a 1988 tarns Am GTA and recently picked up a OEM '88 Notchback hatch for it.

For those that dont know what a GTA Notchback is... It was a GM option available in 1988 on the GTA model. Only 624 were built for US sales and a only total of 718 worldwide.

Some think the hatch is ugly, some love it.
I love the rare strange factory options so I always dreamed of having this type of car.

Back in 1997, when I was 17, I saw a picture of a red GTA notchback online and fell in love with it. When I found out how rare they were, I settled for a regular 1988 GTA instead (basically this exact car in black).

This car mainly needs a tune up and new paint. The hatch needs quite a bit more... but its a good starting point. Today I finally put the GTA in my garage and took off the original hatch(wrapped in plastic and being kept) and placed the Notchback on it. I took off the hinges and hardware to assess damage so obviously its not bolted on currently. I 'll bolt it on eventually and then I can do all the fiberglass repairs while its on the car so fitment will be exact.
I do have the glass, I just took it out to protect it. I got the old tint off it and it cleaned up real nice. I even managed to find a set of OEM Notchback rear seats which have integrated headrests(not in the pictures yet) They just need to be recovered in grey to match.
The car is a 305 TPI auto, t-tops, digital dash, etc etc. It has 62k original miles. I even have the window sticker and a binder full or original purchase documents.

Yes, I know with the hatch it will still only be a clone, BUT if the hatch was to come on any car this would have basically been how it would have came in 1988.

Some quick pics...

V is offline   Reply With Quote