View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #159
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quick update on the car. It's been running great so I decided to start changing small things here and there since the big stuff is working well.

Small stuff: New HU Mount with LED TA lettering, window switch for trans fluid pump

The bigger update is new charge piping from the F1A to the intercooler, intercooler to the engine bay. After hearing and seeing some real nice work coming out of 16W Fabworks, I decided to drop the car off and get the work done.

For those not aware, I originally had the Procharger twin 3.5" intercooler setup. The bypass valve was mounted in the engine bay which was not ideal. The whole setup was functional but the little intercoolers get taxed pretty heavily in higher power applications. I installed the FMIC and cobbled together new charge piping from a Ebay aluminum pipe kit. Again, this was functional but there was too much silicone, clamps, etc.

If anyone knows me, leaving my TA anywhere is normally cause for a Valium and alcohol binge. Below are pics of the resulting work. The car was well taken care of and everything looks great. The entire system is now aluminum so there is some nice weight savings here. The bypass was moved before the intercooler and there is a v-band clamp as the pipe enters the engine bay. The bottom aluminum pipe weighs less than a pound without the bypass (bypass weighs more than the whole damn pipe). The area right by the procharger was done in the pie cut fashion since ground clearance needed to be maintained. A mandrel bend would have put it pretty close to the ground. Anthony also whipped up a quick/nice catch can mount to replace my chintzy setup that was functional..... but nothing I would show off. I'm very happy with everything and the drive home was uneventful. I actually think throttle response has improved as well.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 10-25-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote