View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #59
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
What everyone is forgetting is that the piston was contacting about 37% of the surface area in the bore (I rounded, shoot me) and that the increased friction of a circular bore will thus slow the piston's travel time down considerably. This, as obvious as it sounds, will slow the car down significantly. Sure, you might gain a +5hp per circular bore but you will slow the rotating assembly which is never a good thing.
There is always a tradeoff. For instance the V10 in the LFA is the fastest revving motor in a production car. But for it's size and number of pistons, it's volumetric efficiency is down 5 or 6% compared to the 458 Italia's 8 cylinder and even a really nice 570hp H/C/I LS3.

My point is that being able to rev fast is not be all end all. Now if Brian's engine picks up 40hp just from the improved ring sealing, it will easily overcome the increase in friction - at least in 3rd gear and above. Couple that with a little better breathing from the updated cam profile and (maybe) some more boost, no contest...

A 383 with 20lbs of boost doesn't need to rev like a banshee to move the car - area under the curve does that on its own. Amen