View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #47
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

it's not the base Holley tune. it is indeed the tune from when the engine was dyno'd, but there wasn't much tuning that needed to be done on the dyno. the sniper is NOT controlling timing advance ..that is still currently handled by the weights/springs in the new distributor...for now. But it was run on the dyno in this exact configuration. In my car, its a different story (converter, exhaust, gears) Took the car out today again for a short bit, its certainly good at frying the tires down low and accelerating great, but not earth shattering just yet.

Stopepd over at the quarry's scale and weighed it with a full tank of fuel. Previous weight was 3,410. Current weight is 3,440. I know the heavy 1 gauge wiring (78 feet of it!) added weight during the battery relocation project and battery box. Glad the new engine, sheetmetal enginebay panels, cooling system, etc didn't add too much to the car. I am sure I lost weight somewhere too, but gained it back as well. Would love to put it on 4 corner scales again and see how my weight distribution is, but for now, I'll live with the 3,440 pounds. street-car

Called holley about the TBI whistle noise. They knew exactly what I was talking about! I also found info on it online and the whistle noise was discussed in a youtube video. People determined it to be with the airflow through/past the IAC. it causes a completely harmless whistle, but it is indeed an odd sound for a N/A car! the solution is one of those 4 barrel carb/tbi spacers. I will probably do this to solve the whistle noise, but ALSO because I am surprised how much heat soak makes it up to the ECU area of the sniper unit. Many people (including holley tech) recommend a 4 barrel spacer to keep the heat out of the TBI and it's self-contained ECU unit. Will order one soon.

Called pat at Nyes. He suggested I check the ignition timing not only at idle (which I checked and is 14-15 deg with my timing light), but also at 3,500 rpm when it should be full advanced and be around 38 deg. This is not something I have ever checked before, and I'll need a helper/neighbor/wife to come work the pedal. I tried it today, but my timing light (innova) wasn't flashing steady at higher RPMs??? new territory for me. Pat said that sometimes the combination of MSD boxes, coil, distributor, etc can retard ignition timing a few deg during advance, so perhaps diagnosing this as correct or incorrect can help steer me in the right direction. This can/will all change later when I lock-out the distributor and let the sniper control timing, but for now I' would like to check it as it is configured.

otherwise, I want to put the car up in the air again, do a full bolt/nut check on everything, check driveline angle, degrease underneath, and figure out that exhaust shield/muffler rattle. have to realign the hood, and install the shorter trans fluid dipstick when it arrives.

I took a few data logs while doing some easy driving around town today, so maybe I'll get them uploaded and start to learn. I would love to try to put a newer version of windows on that olde laptop I have. While talking to Holley tech they told me the sniper software won't work with Windows Xp which is what I have on that old laptop. It also runs very slow, but I was hoping to try to make it work. otherwise I'll just have to remove the SD card and bring it inside to my desktop.

here is the dyno sheet. also the build sheet and tech info is on page 1 of this thread too

engine was in the exact same configuration as it is now (aside from air filter), afterwards oil was drained and new oil filter put on. plugs were left in it and showed a nice ignition firing mark on the straps when it arrived. gapped at .035 autolite 3924

Last edited by IROCZman15; 03-02-2020 at 06:37 PM.
IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote