View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
Blackbird - I thought about dash pads a while ago after mine splintered when I turned the heat on on a cold day, but two things I realized would be a problem. One problem is the vents. They are so thin that I would have to redesign them to handle being pulled out without twisting or getting damaged, so if people were looking for O.E. look, the vents would be different. Also, the dimples that the plastic has would make the finish look like crap, like dirt got into the epoxy, and if I sand down the pad to be smooth ,I fear the piece will reflect the light into the windshield, making visual problems, though the solution is to just paint it. it could be done, and I'm not sure what new pads are going for, but since the ABS is already thin, not many layers would be needed, and could handle a lot more abuse with chassis and dash flex, and they'd never crack.
If can make the design aesthetically pleasing, I don't think anyone will care that it looks different. I'm sure folks would appreciate the better design as long as it looks good. ABS in the right color and texture would be fine by me. I think new OEM dash pads go for around $400 new (feel free to correct me if wrong). If you could make a piece for right under $200, I'm sure plenty of folks would jump right on board. I know I would.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote