View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #22
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
It sure is a fine line!

I guess the last question is do I have the deck machined and if so, how much? I see it ranges between 0.022-0.027". Assuming the heads are flat, I figured I could have it decked to have a 0.015" piston-to-deck clearance and use Fel-Pro 4.125" Bore x 0.39" CT gaskets for a quench of 0.405". I've read between 0.30-0.50" would be ok. SCR would be 11.29:1 and a CC503-ish cam would yield a DCR of 8.82:1 and cylinder pressure of 180psi. Should be safe for 93 octane ? Am I doing any of this right?
You only want a mild build so find a good block and stay with the stock deck hight. Unless you have some real need to reduce the deck I wouldn't bother doing any more then the bare minimun. You start talking about changing the deck height and you are getting into allot more time and money. If you end up having to do something like commetic gaskets you'll need to remachine the block and heads to get the right surface finish.

For the CR, you also want to check static but understand the cam choice will bleed off some compression. Now your looking at a 503 cam, that not going to give you much of an issue with your P~T~V clearance. If you do go big on the cam, just remember you run a manual trans so you run the risk of a mis shift and overrevving. So you do want to stay on the higher side of your P~T~V. I rev high and mis shifts LOL! I wanted allot of clearance!

If you do a stock or near stock deck, mild cut on the heads and a .39 gasket you will be fine. I've used the 306 and GM847 cams with stock heads, thinner .029 head gaskets. PTP was fine with 1.5 rockers, I felt the 1.6 make it a bot close for what I like to have. These ran fine on pump gas with no problems.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote