View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #14
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I have the S+W 8-point 4th gen kit, with Swing outs.

It was allot of work - But for the price, I really can't complain.

We put the car up on jack stands at the suspension points so the body wasn't tweaked, we did the cage and SLP 6 point subframe connrectors. We measured and recorded all the gaps to ensure nothing changed as we welded everything in.

The two big PITA is doing the floor plates to be NHRA legal, there isn't any flat flooling, so you have to bend the plates to get a good fit. heating the plates and a BFH outside the car gets them close before statrting to weld them in and doing the final beatings into shape. Other PITA was getting all the panels and headliner back in!

As WBT stated, it's not a perfect fit. We had to rework some of the notches and cut every tube, either to proper lenght or to change angles a bit. Even the main hope was a bit tall. The chop saw was key. We had to make a few trips for the extra plating material as well.

The way we installed mine was to run the rear tubes into trunk well sills, so we could add a cross bar for some aditional structure support. I've seen a few do the back tubes welded to the top of the deck or into the speaker holes.

The swing outs actually flexed the floorpan, so we built additional supports. Also did full plate over the trans tunnel that covers above the X brace mount for support of the Spohn torque arm mount so the angle bars off the main hoop mount tie everything together. Last we also aded tabs to mount the harness to the cross bar.

We did not have a bender that would work on the side bars, so my bars are straight. They are in the way of using the arm rest on the door. So when I'm doing allot of street driving I just remove the side bar, and bolted it back in at the track.

Be VERY careful with welding the floor plates on the drive side! the plastic fuel rails are right there. Few people have burned their cars to the ground!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140707_152300.jpg (94.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20140707_152327.jpg (91.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20140707_153020.jpg (90.6 KB, 34 views)
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 07-07-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote